Intermediate/Senior Real Estate Accountant
(Development, Property & Corporate)
For over two decades Matrix360 has been at the forefront of building and transforming the commercial real estate and development (CRED) landscape for diverse and inclusive teams. We continue to work in partnership with our clients to deliver solutions as Canada’s leader for talent management and workplace strategy.
We are committed to contributing to the transformation of our industry, evolving workplaces to be a greater pathway to access to opportunities, and the creation of possibilities for all people.
Our underlying value system is centered around the education and promotion of Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility in the workplace. A human-centered approach and connectivity are at the core of everything we do – including sourcing and placing talent; advising and guiding leaders on how to implement more equitable workplace policies and frameworks; and creating impact in workplace cultures of excellence.
We are the platform invested in championing Diversity and Equity in the CRED industry
We are committed to providing access, equal opportunity and accommodation for all individuals in employment, services, programs, and activities.
If you require an accommodation or this information in an alternative format at any stage of the search process, contact David Bendea, email@example.com or 416 703 3400 extension 230.
About Our Client
Our client is an industry-leading real estate development firm with a community first approach dedicated to creating positive change – with a track record of transforming sites into thriving neighbourhoods and award-winning projects. They have a growing and internationally recognized portfolio of iconic and city-shaping properties, with over six million square feet in their current pipeline and growing. Projects span from waterfront revitalization to brownfield mixed-used residential and commercial developments. The have a tightly knit and collaborative team culture, and are excited to welcome and grow with a new member.
On behalf of our client, we are seeking an Intermediate or Senior Accountant – who will have exposure to development project accounting, property accounting, and corporate accounting – to join their Accounting & Finance team. Reporting to the Director of Finance and Accounting, this Accountant will play a key role in the day-to-day accounting of ongoing development projects and their current portfolio holdings, as well as the internal and external financial reporting processes.
This individual will possess the ability to effectively manage a high volume of information, bring a solutions-focused mindset, communicate ideas clearly, and drive execution through the company’s growth. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated team player with the ability to operate in a lean but growing team. In addition, the individual will be able to work in a dynamic environment and across multiple projects and external teams, and must have a ‘no task is too big or too small’ mindset, with definite room for growth and opportunity as the company grows.
Given the unique nature of this role being a combination of project, property, and corporate accounting, it is not required that someone has experience with all three, rather an interest and desire to learn, while demonstrating the ability to pick up new information quickly. A Project Accountant, Development Accountant, Property Accountant, or Corporate Accountant would all be a fit.
The compensation package range is $70,000 – $110,000 based on level of industry experience and exposure. Benefits such as extended healthcare, dental and vison care, life insurance and company events, as well as a discretionary bonus, are also included. Our client is an advocate for equity and diversity and recognizes the importance of leadership engagement within its framework.
- Financial Reporting (Financial Statement Prep, Cash Flows, Month end Reporting, HST/GST filing)
- Complete month-end close procedures (ie: reconciliations, accruals, JE’s, etc).
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial statements.
- Preparation of annual working papers, financial statements, and cash flow statements.
- Execute monthly/quarterly sales tax filings and reconciliations.
- Setup and oversee partnership and joint venture reporting, as applicable.
- Project Tracking & Property Management
- Oversee rent collection, tenant reconciliations, and lease reviews for commercial properties.
- Track progress and costs for all ongoing development projects.
- Liaise with property, construction, and development teams, as well as tenants for inquiries.
- Manage internal reporting system for project tracking and updates.
- Assist with creation and modification of internal development accounting framework, GLs and processes as required (including project monitoring, loans/draws, budget variances, joint ventures, and reporting).
- Update monthly budget vs actual reports and work alongside internal teams for monthly review.
- Analysis of budget variances and related reporting.
- Accounts Payable & Accounts Receivable (AP & AR)
- Be the key contact for accounts payable and accounts receivable (project, property, and corporate), including invoice entry, routing for approval and payment set-up.
- Assist with requests from internal and external parties for reporting and analysis.
- Ensure consistent adherence of accounting standards, principles, controls, policies and procedures.
- Assist with new process creation and development.
- Additional ad-hoc duties as assigned.
- Accounting Education, Post-secondary degree with CPA designation, or working towards a CPA designation is an asset.
- Minimum two (2) years experience within the real estate industry in accounts payable, property accounting, development/project accounting, and/or corporate accounting.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, specifically Microsoft Excel. Quickbooks is an asset.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills; high attention to detail; ability to manage multiple deadlines.
- Strong communication, willingness to learn to expand the role and strong attention to detail.
- Excellent judgement and ability to work both independently and in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Friendly and professional demeanor with a positive attitude.
- Willingness and ability to work in a fast-paced environment by being flexible/adaptable and responding to changing circumstances.
If you are interested in this position and would like to join a successful and dynamic organization, please forward your resume in Word format to: firstname.lastname@example.org or please call 416.703.3400