Investment Banking Analyst Real Estate Brokerage Group, Toronto (Fall 2022)
100 King Street West
Job Family Group:
Capital Mrkts Sales & Service
BMO Capital Markets
BMO Capital Markets is a leading, full-service North American-based financial services provider offering equity and debt underwriting, corporate lending and project financing, merger and acquisitions advisory services, securitization, treasury management, market risk management, debt and equity research and institutional sales and trading. BMO Capital Markets has approximately 2,600 professionals in 32 locations around the world, including 18 offices in North America.
BMO Capital Markets is a member of BMO Financial Group (NYSE, TSX: BMO), one of the largest diversified financial services providers in North America with US$798 billion total assets and approximately 43,900 employees as of October 31, 2021.
This position will be situated with the Real Estate Property Brokerage team in Toronto.
The Co-op Analyst program is designed for candidates between their third and fourth undergraduate years. In addition to this on-the-job experience, the program includes the opportunity to network across various business groups, learn about the culture of BMO Capital Markets, participate in training and learning seminars, and obtain career guidance from dedicated mentors.
As an Investment Banking Co-op Analyst within the Real Estate Property Brokerage team at BMO Capital Markets, you will gain valuable exposure to the real estate industry and work with a variety of financial products, including mortgage financings, individual and portfolio asset sales, mergers and acquisitions, and financial advisory. Responsibilities can include:
- Assisting in preparation of pitches and presentations;
- Writing and preparing portions of confidential information memorandums and other marketing material;
- Collecting real estate market information and maintaining research databases;
- Creating financial models using Argus Software and Excel and performing other financial analysis to assist in the valuation of real estate properties across all major asset classes;
- Reading and summarizing property leases and other legal documents;
- Reviewing third party reports including appraisal, building condition and environmental reports; and
- Performing other tasks supporting client relationships and business development.
This position is ideally suited to talented, highly motivated individuals who seek to build a solid, comprehensive foundation in the basic skills of investment banking, with a particular focus on the real estate sector.
As an Analyst, you will be part of a dynamic investment banking environment. We are looking for highly motivated, mature individuals with the following attributes:
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program; graduating in 2024, 2025, 2026
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program specializing in: real estate, commerce, finance, economics, math or engineering;
- A minimum cGPA of 3.4/4.0;
- Outstanding academic, achievement and peer recognition;
- Strong analytical and financial modeling skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Excel and potentially Argus Software;
- Strong interpersonal skills used within a demanding team environment;
- Ability to attentively review, assess and provide detailed information daily on multiple projects in an organized manner;
- Excellent capacity to independently function as part of a team through self-motivation;
- Strong work ethic;
- A high level of integrity; and
- Experience working within one or more of the following areas would be an asset: real estate appraisal, asset/ investment management, financial analysis or investment brokerage.
How to Apply:
For your application to be eligible for consideration, you must apply to both your career center posting and the BMO link application link.
Please ensure the following items are submitted in your application:
Cover Letter (optional) Resume Transcript
The campus job description above aligns to the internal job description below.
Provides a combination of deep industry sector expertise, innovative thinking in a team-based approach and world class execution across a full suite of products to clients through an integrated Capital Markets platform using a sector ecosystem approach. Collaborates to generate creative, client-focused solutions to prospective and current clients.
- Develops written internal and external marketing on pitch material.
- Supports deal teams in development, presentation, and winning mandates.
- Seeks to develop an understanding of client needs and outcomes.
- Provides materials to support an outstanding client experience.
- Identifies opportunities for increased efficiency and improved service to internal and external clients.
- Provides analytical findings to deal teams.
- Supports the execution of strategic initiatives in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders.
- Ensures alignment between stakeholders.
- Completes quality reports/analyses.
- Researches and analyzes company and industry financial and operating information.
- Performs complex financial modeling and runs valuation analysis as part of client / industry evaluations.
- Creates statistical exhibits and financial performance trend analysis for client presentations.
- Applies technical concepts and understands implication of work to client/transaction.
- Develops an understanding of and proficiency in using all required systems and models.
- Provides feedback on, and supports continuous improvement opportunities.
- Integrates information from multiple sources to enable more efficient processes, enhanced analysis, and/or streamlined reporting.
- Delivers financial modeling to support strategic recommendations to clients.
- Considers risk, internal controls and compliance as part of day-to-day accountabilities and adheres to policies and procedures.
- Focus may be on a business/group.
- Thinks creatively and proposes new solutions.
- Exercises judgment to identify, diagnose, and solve problems within given rules.
- Works mostly independently.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Typically between 3 – 5 years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- An undergraduate degree with academic coursework in finance, economics, or accounting and an outstanding academic achievement.
- Financial analysis training and experience.
- 0 – 3 years of successive relevant experience within investment and/or corporate banking experience based on business requirements.
- Highly skilled in building complex financial models.
- Expertise in financial computer applications and database management tools.
- Skilled in creating statistical presentations.
- Specialized knowledge from education and/or business experience.
- Verbal & written communication skills – In-depth.
- Collaboration & team skills – In-depth.
- Analytical and problem solving skills – In-depth.
- Influence skills – In-depth.
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.