Date: Jan 12, 2021
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Company: Hydro One Networks Inc
40561 – Toronto – Regular – Ongoing
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
This Manager, Business Management position will have a focus on IT Vendor Management within the Portfolio Management team. Vendor Management will be focused on supporting the ongoing management of vendor relationships, selection and contracting activities. It also develops and enforces service levels and metrics and ensures alignment of vendors to the strategic needs of the organization. Vendor Management collaborates closely with Contract Management and Supply chain teams to orchestrate broad technology changes across the organization.
Highlights of this role would include focuses to optimize the performance of vendors to support rapid, responsive and high-quality delivery of technology to the business:
- Apply a robust governance framework to ensure strategic alignment between IT and the business, realization of value for all stakeholders, accountability for performance and metrics, and adoption of processes and standards
- Standardize processes and tools used to engage with vendors
- Establish quantitative and qualitative standards to evaluate current / future vendors
- Set value objectives and key performance metrics in alignment with IT strategy as determine by technology leadership
- Conduct feasibility assessments and go / no-go decisions for vendor proposals
- Develop operational execution plans, drive the vendor innovation agenda, manage service expectations, discuss and review change requests, and measures result against performance metrics and benchmarks
- Work closely with a variety of groups within the Company on several aspects of the annual program development and delivery function, including investment plan, business plan, budget, business case approvals, planning activities focusing on the integration of system and technology plans with the goals, objectives, budgets and strategies of the various line organizations. Be responsible of how the business will evolve through deployment of new technology.
- Work collaboratively with the other direct reports within the Department and stakeholders from lines of business to integrate diverse requests for technology changes relative to strategies and objectives, evaluate options and synthesize optimal specifications and timely plans for enhancements to the technology platform. Coordinate stakeholders to create consensus on requirements which will be translated into business applications. Facilitate documentation of these requirements. Ensure projects remain aligned to business strategies and requirements and account for ongoing sustainment impacts in a proactive fashion.
- Work with other utilities, regulatory bodies, professional services organizations, system software vendors and key stakeholders inside and outside of Canada as required to facilitate the timely and cost-effective delivery of the appropriate scope of projects in the best interest of the Company. Influence these other parties to adopt a course of action that is suitable for the Company. Liaise with specialists within and outside the company for the exchange of data and consultation in areas of mutual interests and to integrate the recommendations into the overall strategies and program plans. Make progress reports to supervisor and stakeholders at significant stages of work development.
- Manage staff engaged in the development and implementation of complex projects. Plan, schedule and assign the work, provide guidance and check the work to maintain quality, accuracy and productivity. Select an optimum course of action and make recommendations to Supervisor where alternative solutions are available.
- Manage staffing needs, interview/selection process, staff development and adherence to HR/Corporate policies and administer department budget. Monitor work progress and quality; conduct performance reviews and provide direction on problem areas. Provide effective recommendations to Supervisor concerning promotions, transfers, pay, disciplinary action, etc. of staff within the department per collective agreements. Develop succession plans and provide on the job staff development. Monitor and recommend changes to control and meet targets.
- Take an active role in highly complex multi-year projects aimed at implementing required new functions, system evolution and sustainment refresh of the technology supporting multiple lines of business within the Company. Manage several small to mid-size projects while estimating, planning and overseeing entire program of in-scope projects being implemented by other project managers, technical staff and service providers.
- Help create and support implementation of Project Management best practices within the Program Management Office. Facilitate, with other areas of BIT, the application of standards, methodologies and architectures.
- Lead and coordinate the review and evaluation of proposals. Negotiate contracts with external stakeholders and contract changes, project change orders, work schedules and requirements changes, as required to meet project objectives.
- Manage and maintain project plans, develop action plans for issues, track risk mitigation plans, make recommendations as necessary to advance project. Review project and project status documentation for integrity, accuracy and timeliness. Report on project status and metrics including progress, earned value metrics, baseline, forecast and actual dates, costs and scope to external and internal stakeholders. Create & maintain a project library and coordinate the collection and filing of project documentation for audit and continuous improvement purposes.
- Manage and motivate staff and contractors on projects to deliver project methodology results within budget and schedule.
- Negotiate and influence behaviour of vendors and service providers to achieve desired results.
- Communicate and translate Hydro One Strategies and direction to staff, contractors and vendors to align project objectives in achieving goals within the Strategy
- Build team alignment amongst staff, contractors and vendor personnel with diverse backgrounds many of whom will be working together for the first time, for during the duration of a project.
- Demonstrate business acumen by translating technical options into business objectives.
- Resolve technical, business and personnel issues; escalate unresolved issues in a timely manner to supervisors.
Accountability for the output of others:
- Set appropriate expectations, priorities and context for subordinates (i.e., Corporate and Network Asset Management objectives, strategies and policies, accountabilities, tasks, budget and programs, compliance and performance targets, expectations for continuous improvement, etc.).
- Work with supervising subordinates to set an effective framework of policies and procedures for the work of the unit.
- Know, and ensure own and subordinates’ compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements and all Hydro One corporate and business unit policies and procedures, and generally accepted practices relating to the work of the business.
- Establish a two-way working relationship with subordinates to solicit their views on conditions and potential changes affecting their work, and establishing continuous improvement program opportunities.
Maintaining a team that is capable of producing the outputs required:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a staffing strategy for the Operations Technology Department that will ensure the long term sustainment of the high expertise resources required for this function. Develop and mentor subordinates and implement other strategies to ensure smooth succession.
- Ensure staff is able and willing to produce the desired output
- Assess staff capability to do the required work now and in the future
- Conduct staff performance reviews to improve staff effectiveness
Providing a safe and healthy work environment:
- Provide staff with appropriate knowledge, skills, information, work procedures and equipment to facilitate responsible behaviour which will protect their safety and contribute to their health
- Provide a work environment and facilities where health and safety incidents are minimized and employees are not dissatisfied
- Provide a work environment that supports and values diversity and is free from harassment
- Know and ensure that subordinates comply with all legal and regulatory requirements, Corporate business unit and local policies and procedures, and generally accepted practices related to their work
- BA or BSc in Computer Science, Engineering or other equivalent education
- At least 10 years’ experience and track record of managing and delivering technology projects over the full project life-cycle.
- Strong knowledge and experience with application software packages and network/telecommunication and hardware solutions
- Strong knowledge and experience with the unique aspects of critical real-time applications
- Experience with Electricity Transmission and Distribution Operations would be an asset
- Requires experience related to business planning and budgeting, work program development and prioritization, business case approval processes and policy development.
- Requires a knowledge of business writing for the preparation of business planning documents, presentations, business case approval documents, briefing materials, etc.
Demonstrated Management Skills:
- Team leadership – ability to take a role as leader of a team or other group
- Client–Service Orientation – desire to help others, to understand and then meet their needs.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills.
- Initiative – takes proactive action wherever possible.
- Team player – able to work with others as part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- Business Focus – ability to understand business objectives and translate them into technical requirements and solutions.
- Demonstrated leadership and managerial competency to manage a team of professionals, establish priorities and adapt to changing conditions.
- Ability to achieve consensus (or buy-in where consensus cannot be reached) on requirements translating into business applications.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to relate well to management, peers and frontline business.
- Strong IT and business acumen
- Strategic business thinking – Ability to use their unique skill as a business/IT translator to help executives and management make appropriate strategic decisions in their sphere of control.
- At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2020.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected] Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: January 18, 2021.