Employee Status: Regular
Bargaining Unit: Non-Union
Pay Range: $114,122 – $156,663
Location: 10 Bay St., Toronto
Closing Date: 29-Jun-2022
Metrolinx is connecting communities across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Metrolinx operates GO Transit and UP Express, as well as the PRESTO fare payment system. We are also building new and improved rapid transit, including GO Expansion, Light Rail Transit routes, and major expansions to Toronto’s subway system, to get people where they need to go, better, faster and easier. Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario.
We embody our values in everything that we do. We Serve with Passion, Think Forward, and Play as a Team. If you can relate, we want to hear from you!
Our Environmental Programs and Assessment Team is seeking a Manager, Environmental Programs & Assessment to provide strategic leadership and management on environmental initiatives to support capital infrastructure projects and corporate initiatives with focus on engagement with Indigenous Nations.
What will I be doing?
- Act as subject matter expert and support the organization’s ongoing compliance with environmental legislation and corporate strategy through assessments, mitigation and liaison with various provincial and federal stakeholders and Indigenous communities and Nations.
- Participate in and support the development, application and management of policies, procedures and technical, human and financial resources for environmental assessments (EAs), mitigation and liaison with Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) and Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries (MHSTCI) with a focus on Indigenous relations and the Duty to Consult.
- Provide guidance to project teams on the planning and execution of environmental projects, programs, EAs and studies as they relate to Indigenous communities and Nations.
- Build, develop and maintain collaborative relationships with key internal and external teams critical to the successful delivery of program-wide EA initiatives with a focus on Indigenous engagement and the Duty to Consult.
- Coordinate with Metrolinx’s Indigenous Relations Office to support collaborative working relationships with Indigenous communities and Nations on environmental assessments and ensuring alignment with Indigenous Relations Office programs and policies.
- Manage a small team of staff leading the interface between the Environmental Programs & Assessment team and the Indigenous Relations Office.
- Work with internal teams to improve various reporting and field work approaches to address comments received from Indigenous communities and Nations, while meeting regulatory requirements.
What skills & qualifications do I need?
- Completion of a degree in a related discipline (e.g., Indigenous Studies/Relations, Science, Communications, Planning, Law, Anthropology/Archaeology) or a combination of education, training and experience deemed equivalent
- Ten (10) years’ of experience in a related field providing strategic leadership and support to meet the legal/regulatory requirements related to the completion of engagement and consultation with Indigenous communities and Nations, preferably related to environmental programs and assessment in the public sector, progressive managerial experience leading professional staff and teams.
- Knowledge of Ontario and Canadian applicable law including relating to EA processes
- Knowledge of noise and vibration, air quality, contamination, archaeology, built heritage, natural environment and species at risk considered an asset.
- Knowledge and understanding of the factors, issues, and best practices related to relationship building, the duty to consult and Aboriginal and Treaty rights.
- In-depth knowledge and/or expertise in the Indigenous communities and Nations’ priorities, including familiarity with key Indigenous Peoples, Nations and/or organizations.
- Understanding of the concepts, barriers, best practices and principles for engaging, consulting and building relationships with Indigenous communities, organizations and Nations.
- Excellent human relations skills and experience working with, and supporting buy-in from, various parties especially during public, Indigenous community and stakeholder engagement during contentious capital undertakings.
- Sound knowledge of management/project management principles and time management.
- Leadership experience successfully coaching, mentoring, and managing a team of professionals in support of professional development and project delivery.
- Must successfully complete environmental, safety and all other training required by corporate policy.
- A valid Ontario Class G driver’s license is required to travel to various site locations, meetings, etc. Must meet and maintain the corporate standard for a good driving record.
Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required. Applicants must make their needs known in advance.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Metrolinx will be using email to communicate with you for all job competitions. It is your responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence, we recommend that you check your email regularly. If no response is received, we will assume you are no longer interested in pursuing the opportunity. Please be advised that a Criminal Record Check may be required of the successful candidate. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
Metrolinx employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in accordance with Metrolinx’s Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy as a condition of being eligible for the recruitment process. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required. If you are not able to obtain COVID-19 vaccination for a reason related to a protected ground of discrimination under applicable human rights legislation, you can request accommodation from Metrolinx.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER