Manager, News Service
Permanent, full-time position – Guelph, ON
This is an exceptional opportunity for a media-savvy professional to join our Communications and Public Affairs team and play a key role in helping to promote the strategic direction of the University of Guelph’s external communications activities.
Recognized as an expert in both traditional and social media, you will manage the University’s News Service, develop and maintain relationships with the international and national media, produce and promote news releases and news articles via traditional and social media, produce videos to complement news and feature stories, and manage external content for digital media. This role also entails developing media responses on controversial and sensitive topics, monitoring potential issues in the media, and assisting in developing communications strategies in response to evolving media situations.
As Manager, News Service, you will act as second in command to the Director, Integrated Communications, on communications and external communications strategies, including media and communications issues, and make management decisions in the Director’s absence – from acting as a spokesperson, to overseeing issues management plans and responding to crisis situations. An excellent communicator, you will represent the Department of Communications and Public Affairs and the University on various committees, steering groups and councils.
As part of your general duties as Manager, News Service, you will be called upon to:
- Assign, edit and pitch the majority of the content produced by the news team comprised of a news service officer and staff writers.
- Ensure that content highlights the most ‘marketable’ angle, and that complex content is presented in an engaging, informative way that can be easily understood by the average person, including media.
- Ensure that stories are pitched and disseminated in a timely, effective manner.
- Exercise sound judgement in determining the fit of a story with the institution’s objectives and the likelihood that it can be effectively pitched to international and national media.
- Develop and execute strategies to optimize media coverage, including targeting certain media outlets and working with the social media team on further promotion.
- Develop analytics of national and international media coverage on a regular basis for the Director of Integrated Communications and the Vice-President (External), which, in turn, is shared with University leadership and the Board of Governors.
- Make critical decisions on what constitutes news, provide leadership and direction on editorial content produced through the central news service, and assess newsworthiness and potential reputational risks of content.
- Ensure that all content adheres to University standards, and to all regulations, including those established by research journals, such as publication embargoes, government funding agencies, and other private and public entities.
- Lead other media outreach efforts performed by the news service team, including expert alerts and facilitating media requests.
- Oversee and develop the news page, videos for news service content, media expert guide, media training, news service twitter account, and the media monitoring service used by the news service team.
- Raise the profile and enhance the reputation of the University to a broader external audience.
To assume the role of Manager, News Service, you must have the skill and confidence to make quick decisions in fast-paced, highly charged environments that have significant consequences on the University’s reputation locally, nationally and internationally, together with a profile that includes:
- An undergraduate degree in Journalism, coupled with at least 5 years of related work experience, including managing a news team or communications team, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent skills in word processing, editing, desktop publishing, internet, social media and PowerPoint.
- Strong managerial, organizational, supervisory, interpersonal and training/teaching skills.
- Excellent writing, interviewing, editing and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in media relations.
- Expertise in social media and traditional media.
- Experience managing large, diverse groups and navigating complex stakeholder relationships.
- Detailed knowledge of the University of Guelph – historical, organizational structure, people (including alumni community), programs, geography, institutional goals and mission.
The University of Guelph (www.uoguelph.ca) is one of Canada’s leading research-intensive comprehensive institutions, with a record of outstanding scholarship in the arts, humanities, social sciences, life sciences, physical and engineering sciences, agriculture and veterinary sciences. This is your chance to join us in our endeavour to improve life.
To view a detailed posting for the role of Manager, News Service, please go to our website at www.uoguelph.ca/jobs. Applications, quoting Hiring #2022-0224, must be sent to: [email protected].
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.