Manager, Philanthropic Services – Full Time, 13-month term (parental leave coverage)
Location in Vancouver or Toronto, with remote possible
Are you a highly organized professional who is looking to help disrupt philanthropy in the non-profit sector and create healthier pathways between donors and communities? Are you someone with a strong focus on providing excellent service to clients and value a supportive and flexible work culture?
MakeWay builds partnerships and solutions to help nature and communities thrive together. We are made up of two legal charitable entities: MakeWay Charitable Society, a shared platform home to over 65+ innovative community-led projects staffed by 170+ change makers; and MakeWay Foundation where about 75 people are advancing place-based programs that support Indigenous-led solutions and conservation in the North, Pacific, Manitoba, and beyond via grant-making, funder collaboratives and other tools. Our people, projects, and partners are based across the country.
We are looking for a new team member who has a good understanding of, and is passionate about, community led change and trust-based philanthropy. The Manager will have the skills and knowledge required to lead the operations and relationships associated with the community and donor advised fund program (CDAF), increasing the flow of capital into CDAFs and out to communities, in alignment with the MakeWay mission.
If our values align with yours and you want to learn, grow, and develop within a supportive team that shares knowledge and cares for the wellbeing of all staff, then we want to hear from you! Join us and make a difference.
What You’ll Do:
Community and Donor Advised Funds (CDAFs)
- Develop a strong understanding of MakeWay’s community and donor advised fund program.
- Track and report on progress for implementing and maintaining the CDAF program plan.
- Lead the development of trust-based relationships with key partners such as fund advisors, donor and community partners, and colleagues across the MakeWay ecosystem.
- Provide philanthropic advice to fund advisors on a regular basis, such as setting philanthropic goals, thinking about giving strategies, and recommending potential grantees.
- Represent the team as the lead on special projects; the CDAF online portal and development of an online community hub to create better funding pathways between donors, program partners, and projects.
- Lead the measurement, evaluation, and reporting of the CDAF program.
- Lead the development of services agreements, ensuring appropriate overhead cost recovery for services rendered, consulting across teams as necessary.
- Manage relationships with external funder and community partners through ongoing relationship cultivation and stewardship.
Who You Are:
- Strategic, adaptable, and nimble: You can manage and prioritize incoming requests, assess conflicting request and prioritize accordingly, and deliver multiple assignments simultaneously, all while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- A people person: You’re a natural relationship builder who can establish connections with communities and donors and build trusting partnerships.
- A great communicator: You can translate complex information into clear and simple language. You are helpful and friendly on the phone, virtual meetings, and email.
- You bring an analytical lens: You have an attention to detail paired with analytical and problem-solving abilities. You are practiced at digesting information, assessing importance and risks, and making clear and timely decisions.
- A team-oriented collaborator: You are self-motivated and comfortable working in-person and virtually with colleagues across Canada.
- Tech-savvy: You have strong computer skills and can optimize workflows both on your desktop and across functions.
- Inspired: You are excited about our community and donor advised fund program and playing a role in its development.
- You bring a pro-active approach to your work.
- An innovative thinker: You can think creatively and positively to achieve a meaningful, and valuable outcome.
Experience You Bring:
- Strong analytical and communication skills, including the ability to connect with a diverse range of people.
- Experience in the charitable/non-profit sector, with a lens for compliance.
- Strong day-to-day time management skills and the ability to be agile in approaches and adapt quickly to ever changing landscapes (internally and externally).
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability in project management.
- Ability to show creative, critical, and strategic thinking in past positions.
- Knowledge of donor-advised funds and an awareness of the thematic and practical trends in the philanthropic sector.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and Salesforce.
It Would be a Bonus if You Have:
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of charitable compliance.
- Experience in working as a philanthropic advisor or with an intermediary organization.
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to have a real impact in helping to create a future where nature and humans thrive together.
- Full time annual salary of $66,713 – $73,542 (dependent on experience you bring)
- Competitive benefits package including generous RRSP contribution.
- Three weeks’ vacation plus statutory holidays. MakeWay has implemented a Substitution Statutory Holiday policy which allows employees the flexibility to substitute another day for a statutory holiday. In addition, the MakeWay office is closed annually for a winter holiday break.
- Flexible work environment with options for remote working.
- A team of dedicated, thoughtful colleagues.
- High level of responsibility and autonomy.
- Opportunities and support for professional learning and growth.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter please share what makes you an ideal fit for this position and why you want to join the MakeWay Team.
MakeWay is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace community and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the selection process, please contact us.
Only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No recruiters please!
If you are interested in the position, please click here to apply.