Mental Health And Substance Use (Mhsu) Substance Use Worker – Kamloops, B.C.

Mental Health And Substance Use (Mhsu) Substance Use Worker – Kamloops, B.C.

Job Information
Author pmnationtalk
Date January 17, 2021
Type Full Time
Location Kamloops, BC
Client Interior Health Authority
Contact Information
Apply Now!

Community :KAMLOOPS
Status :CASUAL
Position Summary

An opportunity exists for a MHSU Substance Use Worker in Kamloops, B.C. This is a casual position working for the Supervised Consumption Site as well as the Substance Use Response & Connection program at the Royal Inland Hospital. We are looking for applicants with an understanding of supervised consumption services, knowledge of harm reduction principles and ability to work with complex mental health and substance use disorders. Previous experience with the marginalized, homeless population would be helpful.

The Substance Use Worker functions as a member of the larger Hospitals & Communities Integrated Services (HCIS) health care team and as a member of a specific MHSU multi-disciplinary team whose purpose is to ensure that persons experiencing substance use problems/disorders or concurrent substance use and mental health problems have access to timely, responsive, evidence based treatment and clinical supports across the continuum of available services. The Substance Use Worker provides assessment, treatment, service coordination, and as required, urgent response to clients who may also have serious functional impairment in the domains of physical health and personal, family, financial, occupational, and social life. The Substance Use Worker functions as a primary clinician utilizing a variety of specialized treatment modalities/therapies for individuals, groups of clients and/or their families.

Typical Duties and Responsibilities:

  • Provides comprehensive bio/psycho/social services for persons experiencing substance use problems/disorders or concurrent substance use and mental health problems.
  • Provides intake, orientation, stabilization, and comprehensive mental health and substance use assessments.
  • Collaboratively plans treatment goals with the client; implements treatment plans and evaluating treatment outcomes.
  • Offers consultation, support, and education to families, informal supports, community agencies, and other health care providers involved.
  • Liaises with alcohol and drug residential treatment, withdrawal management, and supportive recovery resources following specialized assessment and referral protocols in order to assist clients in accessing local, regional, or provincial services as required.
  • Identifies the need for, and ensures or arranges transition plans are in place for clients transferring between levels of care, including involvement in discharge planning and follow up after an admission to a hospital unit or emergency department.
  • Documents assessments, treatment formulations, care plans and progress notes according to professional standards and established guidelines.

Shift types are rotating days and evenings, 07:00 to 18:13, and 12:47 to 00:00

Join our supportive mental health & substance use team in Kelowna – apply today!


Education, Training and Experience:

Bachelor Degree from an accredited educational institution in an Allied Health, Behavioural, or Social Science field relevant to the position (i.e. Social Work, Psychology, Counselling, Mental Health, etc.).

Two years’ recent related experience in an alcohol and drug treatment environment or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.

Current valid B.C. driver’s license.

**Please Note**

  • We invite applicants to self-identify as First Nation, Métis or Inuit within cover letters and/or resumes.
  • Interior Health now offers assistance from an Aboriginal Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) and if you would like assistance with the application process, job readiness, interview readiness or tips for resume and cover letter writing, send your question via email to [email protected] to be redirected to the Employment Advisor.
Send To Friend Email Print Story

NationTalk Partners & Sponsors Learn More