National 2Spirit Research Coordinator
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours & Term: Up to 37.5 hours per week; until March 31st, 2023
Place of Work: Working remotely
Salary & Benefits: Starting Salary $65,000-$70,000 /hour based on experience and education Comprehensive Benefit Package
Languages Required: English is the working language – Indigenous language an asset/ and or French
To provide Research, as it relates to the design & delivery of services that meet the needs of the 2Spirit population expressed via community engagement, annual general meetings, special initiatives, stakeholder relations, and emerging trends.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop a research agenda that informs policy and practice related to the 2 Spirit community.
- Establish community based research protocols respecting Ownership, Control, Access and Possession (OCAP) Principles.
- Engage in partnership relations with academic and community-based stakeholders to fulfill these research needs.
- Lead in 2 Spirit community-based research activities.
- Increase awareness of 2 Spirit roles and needs, both to the 2 Spirit community, as well as other stakeholders, Indigenous, 2SLGBTQI.
- Frame this research agenda as it relates to programs, policy and training needs within 2SiMS.
- Present and attend Indigenous and LGBTQ+ conferences on 2 Spirit Research
- Research Partnership agreements to collaborate with 2SiMS on research priorities
- Establish a 2Spirit Research Advisory Committee created to guide the research agenda and 2 Spirit Research Ethics documents.
- Create a National 2 Spirit Research strategy
- Manage the google calendar and basecamp to schedule deadlines & documents
- Create and follow quarterly work plan to help guide and organize work flow to provide successful outcomes
- Verify content and information for accuracyPrepare and provide monthly reports / documents for Executive Director and Program Coordinator
- Maintain and organize digital files, including zoom meetings, Work Plan and all documents related to Research under the specific shared drive
- Complete research and other related tasks as assigned by the Executive Director and Program Coordinator.
- Attend meetings, training and other relevant activities as directed by the Executive Director
- Take notes at relevant meetings pertaining to Research
- Support the Office Administration in processing expenses and expense claims related to your position
- Ensure appropriate maintenance of financial records for your position within the google drive
- Respond to inquiries in a timely manner.
- Maintain positive working relationships with members, community groups and other 2SLGBTQ+ agencies.
- Attend regular staff and committee meetings.
- Maintain communication with the entire 2SiMS team on all organizational channels, including Basecamp, social media, Zoom, email and other tools as deemed necessary.
- Consider issues of racism, anti-Black racism, sexism, misogynoir, colonialism, cissexism, transmisogyny, transmisogynoir, gender binarism, heterosexism, monosexism, amatonormativity, whorephobia, ableism, classism, sizeism, and other forms of systemic violence throughout all of our work.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum Degree, preference of a Masters in Indigenous Studies, Social Sciences or Humanities
- 5 years experience in Research & Development
- Lived experience or connection to the 2SLGBTQ+ youth community.
- Strong organizational skills;
- Administrative skills;
- Verbal and written communication skills;
- Knowledge of 2Spirit and 2SLGBTQ+, Indigiqueer and 2Spirit youth issues and concerns;
- Ability to write and communicate professionally in English with an Indigenous language and/or French;
- Ability to understand oral and written communication in English with an Indigenous language and/or French;
Preferred Qualifications & Experience:
- Bilingual, with the ability to write and communicate professionally in English with Indigenous language/ or French;
- Knowledge and/or lived experience of 2Spirit and Indigiqueer youth cultures and movement;
- Knowledge of the Canadian Pride movement and networks;
- Knowledge of the following software or tools: Basecamp, Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) Google Office Suite;
- Experience with online media: Zoom, Google Suites, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and TikTok.
- Understanding of anti-oppression and intersectionality.
- Project Management timeframes;
- Meeting notes and documentation;
- Maintenance of administrative procedures.
- 2SiMS strives to maintain an anti-oppressive workplace that embraces social justice, anti-racism, and intersectional feminism. All employees are expected to uphold these values.
- This position will be remote.
- This position requires flexibility, and some evenings and weekend work.
- This position may require travel in Canada, when/if COVID restrictions allow.
Submit a resume and cover letter about your experience working with or participating in 2SLGBTQQIA+ communities and/or Pride movements by June 26, 2022. Attention: Jonathon Potskin (he/they), Interim Executive Director, via email to [email protected] Please include “National 2Spirit Research Coordinator” in the subject line. Any written resume and cover letter should be submitted in PDF format.
If a candidate prefers, they may submit a resume and cover letter in a video or audio format to the same address. Incomplete applications may not be considered. We wish to emphasize that 2SiMS is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of all we serve. This includes prioritizing applicants that are diverse in gender identity, sexuality, culture and race, Please use your cover letter to tell us about your lived experiences with any or all of these identifiers. Preferential consideration will be given to applications from the 2Spirit/Indigiqueer people. We rely on both the Employment Equity Act and Section 15.2 of The Canadian Charter of Rights & Freedoms for this measure.