Title: Payroll Administrator
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Type of Contract: Temporary Full Time
Salary Band: $47,860 – $59,825 /year
The Canadian Red Cross, part of the world’s largest humanitarian network, is hiring a Payroll Administrator.
Do you have a passion for helping others and want to work with other dedicated individuals? Find out if this role is for you now.
We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience. We are committed to having an accessible, diverse, and inclusive work environment where people with all abilities, ethnicities, gender identities and expressions, nationalities, religions, and sexual orientations can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons particularly Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, women, veterans, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace to apply.
As a Payroll Administrator, you will:
- Process bi-weekly payroll and special payroll for hourly and salaried employees
- Process departmental time sheets and data imports on a daily and weekly basis
- Respond to employee, manager and HR staff enquiries regarding benefits, collective agreements, timekeeping and escalations
- Verify, maintains and organizes all payroll information and documentation (i.e. new hires, deductions, salary changes, leave processing, contributions, and terminations)
- Data entry into HRIS and payroll systems
- Prepare payroll deduction remittances for bargaining units, business partners and providers
- Process payments, pay corrections, retros, and historical adjustments
- Compile statistical and period-end reports, statements, and summaries related to pay and benefits accounts, and reconciling payroll liability accounts
- Process employee changes, system terminations and Records of Employment
- Process severance pay and retiring allowances
- Maintain information integrity within HRIS and Payroll systems and ensuring accuracy
- Assist in the preparation of T4s, T4As, pension adjustments, and T2200s for year-end balancing
- Report annual vacation carry over balances and calculations of entitlements
- Maintain employee electronic payroll files
What we are looking for:
- Completion of a diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution, with a concentration in accounting, finance, payroll or business administration.
- A minimum of two years of job‑related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) certification from the Canadian Payroll Association or working towards certification.
- Fluency in French is preferred (speaking, reading and writing)
- Experience in bi-weekly payroll, with employment standards in all Canadian provinces
- Experience with unions and collective agreements
- Solid organization skills and ability to manage time and deadlines
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Proficient in compiling, validating and analyzing time, payroll and accounting data
- Able to modify and extract reports from raw data using MS Excel and Smartsheets
- Able to provide sound judgment and exercise a high level of confidentiality and discretion while working with sensitive and private information
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, with both internal and external audiences
- CPM or CPP certified or working towards
- HRPA certification completed or underway
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize HRIS systems and other related software packages;
- Strong knowledge of MS Office Suite; Smartsheet, and Microsoft Excel
- Experience working in MD Dynamics AX, Kronos Workforce Central or Dimensions is a definite asset
- Solid understanding of the employment standards and legislated provincial payroll rules is mandatory
- Knowledge of [email protected] by ADP is an asset
Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground).
The Canadian Red Cross is an organization guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.