Property Accounting Manager
For over two decades, Matrix360 has been at the forefront of building and transforming the commercial real estate and development (CRED) landscape for diverse and inclusive teams. We continue to work in partnership with our clients to deliver solutions as Canada’s leader for talent management and workplace strategy.
We are committed to contributing to the transformation of our industry, evolving workplaces to be a greater pathway to access to opportunities, and the creation of possibilities for all people.
Our underlying value system is centered around the education and promotion of Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility in the workplace. A human-centered approach and connectivity are at the core of everything we do – including sourcing and placing talent; advising and guiding leaders on how to implement more equitable workplace policies and frameworks; and creating impact in workplace cultures of excellence.
We are the platform invested in championing Diversity and Equity in the CRED industry
We are committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and accommodation for all individuals in employment, services, programs, and activities.
If you require accommodation or this information in an alternative format at any stage of the search process, contact David Bendea, email@example.com, or 416 703 3400 extension 2300.
About Our Client
Our client is a longstanding commercial real estate investment firm focused on value-add repositioning of office and commercial mixed-use assets across Ontario. They are a fully integrated investment and asset manager and property manager who work in partnership with prominent institutional and private equity investors. They have over 3B+ AUM and have a track record of actively raised, managed and disposed of funds. Their platform has been consistently growing and their flat corporate structure offers immense professional growth and exposure.
Property Accounting Manager
On behalf of our client, we are seeking a Property Accounting Manager to support the property accounting team. The position reports directly to the Senior Director of Property Accounting. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated team player, with a passion for real estate, and be detail-oriented. In addition, the person must have direct exposure to property accounting experience and is a direct communicator. The compensation range is between $100,000 to $130,000 depending on the level of industry experience and exposure, plus a discretionary bonus. Our client is an advocate for diversity and recognizes the importance of leadership engagement within its framework.
- Build and sustain a highly engaged team by providing effective management, leading by example, communicating direction, mentoring, performance management, coaching and developing direct reports, and guiding individuals to make decisions and be accountable for their actions
- Responsible for planning the timeline and the timely and accurate completion of team contributions to month-end analysis, quarterly reforecast and annual budgets, final operating cost recovery adjustments, and annual external audits
- Review year-end entity-level financial statements and note disclosure, draft note disclosure for new accounting standards pronouncement, and oversee the year-end external audits for financial statements and operating costs audits for tenants
- Direct team activities to ensure that desired results are achieved according to deadlines, accounting standards, standard operating procedures, and policies/requirements
- Directly manage Property Accountants including planning, developing, providing overall guidance and direction, and training the team to succeed, while operating efficiently to ensure the needs of the business are met in a timely manner
- Proactively identify and analyze opportunities for improving quality, effectiveness, and efficiency of team deliveries, and take action to put solutions in place to achieve optimal results
- Liaise with property management, asset management, and other stakeholders and functional groups to ensure the property accounting team is delivering responsive, top-tier service as well as provide assistance and advice as required
- Support positive team dynamics and culture including a positive, open, team-focused work atmosphere
- Support and provide direction with the new property setup, analysis, and follow-up of complex or new business transactions and accounting issues
- Support with property on-boarding and off-boarding including helping to prepare final operating statements, distributions, tax reconciliation, bank accounts, and other acquisition and disposition-related activities
- Review and approve financial accounting working papers to ensure effective property accounting including follow-ups and resolutions as required for best-in-class service and for both internal and external auditors
- University degree in Accounting/Finance with a professional accounting designation
- Minimum 3 years of managerial accounting experience within the commercial real estate industry, ideally managing and/or supervising an accounting team
- Experience in successfully managing direct reports and developing high-performing teams
- Experience with external audits
- Reporting at a portfolio level, including lease and operations reporting
- Demonstrated strong technical competence in Microsoft Office applications including Word and PowerPoint and Excel
- Experience with Yardi Voyager is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to explore & implement progressive technological efficiencies
If you are interested in this position and would like to join a successful and dynamic organization, please forward your resume in Word format to: firstname.lastname@example.org or please call 416.703.3400