The First Nations Financial Management Board (The FMB) is Canada’s only legislated body that develops and publishes First Nations Financial Management and Financial Performance Standards and upon request certifies First Nations compliance to those standards. The FMB is an Aboriginal institution that provides a suite of financial management tools and services to First Nations governments seeking to strengthen their fiscal stewardship and accountability regime and develop necessary capacity to meet their expanding fiscal and financial management requirements.
The FMB is one of the First Nation institutions created through The First Nations Fiscal Management Act (FMA). This federal legislation is designed primarily to provide participating First Nations with the tools and capacity needed to facilitate their participation in long-term pooled borrowing through the Capital Markets – on a similar basis as other governments in Canada – to support their social and economic development objectives.
Reporting to the Senior Relationship Manager, the Relationship Manager is accountable for supporting new and existing clients of the FMB. The Relationship Manager coordinates and collaborates with all FMB business lines and contributes to a high performing and engaged relationship building team.
Prospective Client Marketing
- Working with the Senior Relationship Manager, identify prospective clients within a specific region and develop a client engagement strategy and work plan;
- Implement the marketing and outreach strategy designed to generate interest and promote the FMA and FMB services and certification processes to prospective First Nation clients;
- Develops a rapport with potential clients and provide support to continually improve the relationship –continuously growing, maintaining, and leveraging networks;
- Conducts scans of the economic landscape in your region to identify potential market opportunities that First Nations may be able to capitalize on;
- Develops and delivers presentations and provide an FMB presence at national and regional conferences;
- Develops and delivers presentations to First Nations when requested;
- Conducts outreach as directed to the new client segment Tribal Councils, First Nation Non-Profit Organization’s, Modern Treaty and Self-Governing Nations.
- Continue as Relationship Manager from the initial engagement through to FMB Certifications;
- Support clients to understand their needs, objectives, the stakeholders and remain the primary point of contact with the decision makers;
- Provide presentations when requested on FMB services opportunities to First Nation clients;
- Collaborate with other business lines supporting the Clients in their journey towards FP FMS Certifications.
Stakeholder Relations & Engagement
- Working with the Senior Relationship Manager, develop an FMB stakeholder relationship strategy for your region;
- Develops strategic relationships with stakeholders and agencies whose mandate and work will help advance FMB’s objectives;
- Attends industry functions virtually and eventually in person to identify relevant opportunities, trends, campaigns etc. to further ‘brand value’;
- Coordinates with the First Nations Financial Authority (FNFA), First Nations Tax Commission (FNTC) on FMA brand marketing to ensure a consistent message.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field;
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a business development related role, ideally working with First Nations;
- Previous experience working with First Nations is required – please ensure this requirement is clearly identified in your resume or cover letter;
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships;
- Highly effective teamwork skills;
- Intermediate to advanced working knowledge of MS Suite;
- Working knowledge of Customer Relationship Management software;
- Ability to follow through and complete overlapping projects;
- Superior communication skills and an excellent command of written and spoken English; French language skills an asset;
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations virtual and eventually in person;
Equivalent or relevant education and/or experience may be considered.
- Ability to plan and deliver oral and written communications presentations that makes an impact;
- Conveys information in a way that is confident, professional, and easy for others to understand;
- The ability to express and transmit information with consistency and clarity, summarizing information according to the audience to promote engagement and increase understanding;
- Uses active listening techniques to effectively understand provided feedback.
- Shows commitment to the organizational vision and strategic goals by acting in accordance to organizational expectations and through having a solid understanding of the internal environment.
- Ability to gain others’ support while working towards a common goal;
- The ability to develop and maintain partnerships with others internally and externally to FMB;
- The ability to notice, interpret and anticipate client concerns and feelings with tact and diplomacy;
- Shows respect for the diversity of our client’s communities.
- Demonstrates an ability to focus time and effort on day-to-day goals and objectives, and the steps needed to achieve them;
- Sets priorities to constructively address the specific needs of stakeholders and ensures timely delivery;
- Stays focused and balances changing or competing priorities and responsibilities.
- This position will be based in an assigned Region; remote working within Canada may be considered.
- Requires extensive national travel (travel currently on hold due to COVID-19);
- Evening and weekend work may be required occasionally.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary with bonus eligibility;
- Flexible 37.5-hour work week
- Employer paid extended benefits;
- Matching group RRSP contributions;
- Generous annual vacation allowance and paid stat & non-stat days;
- Work-life balance;
- Professional development & career growth opportunities.
FMB is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes and celebrates the diversity of all First Nations and people across Canada. We are an inclusive organization that treats all employees equally. As a First Nations Organization, applicants of Indigenous descent are highly encouraged to apply.