Relief Support Worker
Posting Date: Wednesday, April 13, 2022
Posting ID: 067
Atlohsa Family Healing Services is seeking a motivated and dynamic individual to fill the role of Relief Support Worker. The primary role of the Relief Support Worker will be to provide a safe, supportive environment for community members who have been experiencing homelessness. This position will require working shifts that consist of daytime, afternoon and overnight hours. Candidates must be willing and able to commit to being called in on short notice if the need shall arise.
Role and Responsibility
Using a holistic Indigenous led approach to principles of trauma informed care and supporting women and children who are fleeing violence and abuse, the successful applicant will offer compassionate and empathetic care and support to women and their children who require safety. The Support Worker will be responsible for the 24-hour crisis line, assessment and intake, safety planning, wholistic care approaches to wellness and housing support. This may include providing lay counselling and proactively intervening when crisis or conflict arises, which may include aggressive or disruptive in the moment behavior. The Support Worker will liaison with other social service agencies, record accurate and detailed shift notes and must be able to provide clear, concise objective communication regarding community members being supported.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the languages, traditional ways, history and cultures of the Indigenous population in the London region
- Understanding of Indigenous homelessness, with a demonstrated experience and knowledge of Indigenous traditional family values, childcare practices and healing practice
- College or university education in social services is an asset but not necessary
- Ability to contribute to a culturally safe space with an awareness of its impact on practice
- Skills in conflict resolution, mediation, and negotiation (to build trust and resolve disagreements)
- Current Vulnerable Sector check required
EMPLOYMENT TERM: Relief, as needed
START DATE: As soon as possible
CLOSING DATE: Until filled
REMUNERATION: $22.50 per hour
Individuals of Indigenous Ancestry are strongly encouraged to apply. Atlohsa supports diversity in all its various manifestations, however, preferences will be given to qualified, Indigenous applicants.
Please submit a cover letter and resume or referral to:
Atlohsa Family Healing Services Inc.
2212 Elm Ave
Tel No. 519-438-0068 | Fax No.: 519-438-0070 | Email: [email protected]
Full Job Description Available Upon Request. We thank all those who apply however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.