Title: Senior Analyst – Finance
Location: Across Canada (Remote)
Employment status: Permanent, Full Time
Salary band: $47,912 – $69,872 /year
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC), an iconic brand and one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet, is seeking a Senior Analyst to join our Finance team.
You have a passion for helping others, and want to work with other dedicated individuals? By applying, you are taking a big first step to be part of an exciting organization.
At the Canadian Red Cross, we are guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons to apply, particularly Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people, and people with diverse gender identities and sexual orientations, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Reporting to the Senior Finance Manager, Recovery Services, or their designate, the incumbent provides finance support to projects/grants managed through the Recovery Services Program. The incumbent provides both financial and analytical reporting to ensure the effective management of the administrative and financial aspects of Government and Non-government funded projects and programming. The incumbent is responsible for reviewing grant-related documents (grant applications; contracts; decision papers; recipient reports, etc.) to ensure the finances and payment schedules; report reviews and final grant reports are accurate; spends are well documented and comply with the signed contracts and CRC’s funding guidelines.
In this role, you will:
Responsibility 1 – Accounting & Reconciliation
- Support administration of public funds, contracts, and agreements as it relates to the Recovery Services Program.
- Analyse grant project revenues and expenditures in depth to ensure they are complete, accurate, and reasonable.
- Update on a monthly basis desk and project forecasts in BI360 for both staffing and general expenses.
- Validate financial transactions for General Ledger, AP, AR and Trust Modules before posting of batches.
- Costing, financial analysis and reporting of time billed and/or engaged by personnel on both funded and non funded projects/programs.
Responsibility 2 – Financial Review and Analysis
- Review Decision Papers and contracts; once approved, ensure accounting structure is set up.
- Review and approve on a bi-weekly basispayroll, both direct salaries and time billing into projects.
- Review each month project revenue recognition and overhead rates to meet deadlines.
- Prepare the monthly financial and statistical variance analysis for both desk and multiple projects and reports for program operational staff, senior management, and as required, external funders that may include government bodies and other national societies.
- Validate and analyse interim and final reviews of grant projects and provide recommendations based on these financial reviews.
Responsibility 3 – Financial Reporting and Operations Monitoring & Support
- Provide financial and statistical analysis, reports, advice and recommendations to the Senior Finance Manager, Recovery Services on a regular basis in a timely and accurate manner.
- Produce monthly consolidated financial reports submitted to budget holders and ad hoc consolidated financial reports required by Programs & Departments.
- Provide support and guidance to operations for all project financial reporting requirements, and to grant recipients and their finance department when they are experiencing financial reporting challenges.
- Validate and analyze project/program financials and prepare financial reports for external and internal parties.
Responsibility 4: Employees and Volunteers at every level are responsible for safe work practices and to adhere to practices outlined in their applicable provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Responsibility 5: Support other Red Cross initiatives, as needed, to provide for a coordinated team effort to meeting the needs of the most vulnerable in the community.
What we are looking for:
- Completion of a university degree in Finance, Business Administration, or a related field with a concentration in accounting and 5-7 years of job-related experience.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of accounting theory, techniques, and policies.
- Working knowledge and experience with an accounting system for medium-large enterprises and more specifically the project module within that accounting software.
- Advanced Excel and demonstrated knowledge of other Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, etc.
- Knowledge of and experience with granting best practices.
- Superior time management and organizational skills reflected in the ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Superior attention to detail, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work both independently with minimal supervision, and collaboratively within a team.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with senior management. Fluency in both official languages considered an asset.
- This position requires a satisfactory Canadian criminal record reference check.
- Chartered Professional Accounting Designation or pursuing is an asset.
- Experience with AX Dynamics and/or Power BI and knowledge of grant administration finance software options is an asset.
- The majority of the work is performed in an environment which is mostly clean and comfortable.
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground).
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.