Title: Senior Designer, Prevention and Safety- Projects and Publishing
Employee Working Location: Remote – Canada
Employement status: Permanent Full Time
Salary Band: $62,350 – $79,451
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC) – one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet and an awardee on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022 – is seeking a Senior Designer, Prevention and Safety- Projects and Publishing to join our team.
We are guided by our Fundamental Principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons who share our values and want to contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace to apply.
The incumbent will work closely with developers from start to finish of a project to ensure that the final product meets UX and accessibility standards and identify usability challenges or risks for needs we wish to solve for our users.
In this role, you will:
- Conceptualize, design and layout publications, marketing pieces and campaigns, from concept to production, digital and print, including: books, infographics, illustrations, diagrams, charts, social assets, email campaigns, banners, campaign pages, fact sheets, forms, magazine ads, reports, booklets, media presentations, posters, product packaging, and event collateral.
- Develop Wire-framing, creating high-fidelity mock-ups, working with the client to consolidate and action feedback, walking clients through mockups and or/wireframes
- Apply UX principles, UX accessibility requirements and behavioural science to identify key barriers and drivers of desired user behaviours
- Develop integrated concepts and designs that maintain consistency between associated products, work across print and web platforms to brand standards.
- Optimize designs for accessibility according to AODA and WCAG guidelines as well as equality of English and French editions.
- Clearly articulate ideas and creative and technical rationale for design decisions
- Ensure files are web and print production ready and adhere to production specifications including page setup, margins, bleed and binding.
- Organize and archive project files according to team established standards.
- Estimate time and resources required to complete concept, design and layout work, and advise on work back schedules.
What we are looking for:
- An individual with a post-secondary degree or diploma in advertising or graphic design plus a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience and a strong design portfolio that includes a variety of work and formats.
- Proficiency in MS Office, especially Word, PowerPoint, TEAMS and SharePoint.
- Advanced skills in Adobe Creative Suite across platforms (print, web, mobile, tablet), especially InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop and advanced skills in Adobe Suite across platforms (print, web, tablet, video)
- Expert level print, web and UI design skills with wireframes (FIGMA)
- Experience with accessiblity in design and UI
- Experience with development of design systems, style guides and brand guides
- Intermediate level knowledge of print web and UI design best practices
- Advanced layout, typography, and design file setup skills.
- In-depth understanding of effective design principles and adherence to brand standards.
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy and quality.
- Excellent time management and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to accept and provide constructive feedback courteousl and to support the success of others and actively participate in maintaining a mutually respectful, collaborative virtual environment.
- The majority of the work is in an environment which is clean and comfortable.
- Some travel might be required.
- Some additional hours may be required where deadlines are required.
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
- If you are selected for this role, you will be required to complete a successful pre-employment screening process which includes a satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check (E-PIC).
- At this time, the CRC has temporarily suspended our Covid-19 vaccination policy and does not require but continues to strongly encourage full vaccination of all our personnel.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible – those who apply after the selection process has started may be held for a second review if needed OR reviewed for alternative roles. We appreciate the time and effort it takes to apply and thank you in advance.
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.