Senior Manager, Media Relations & Corporate Communications
La version française suit.
CIFAR is a Canadian-based global research organization that convenes extraordinary minds to address the most important questions facing science and humanity. Through knowledge mobilization, we are catalysts for change in industry, government and society.
For more information please visit our website.
Purpose of the Position:
Reporting to Vice-President, Communications, the Senior Manager, Media Relations & Corporate Communications will play a key role in the implementation of a comprehensive media relations and corporate thought leadership strategy aimed at enhancing CIFAR’s national and international profile and visibility with media, the global research community, stakeholders, partners and influencers. The Senior Manager is responsible for creating supporting communications materials, pitching angles and stories to media and responding to media requests, working with agencies, building and developing media and influencer relationships and lists, monitoring media coverage and continuously assessing the effectiveness of media relations strategies.
- Reporting to the Vice-President, Communications, and in collaboration with Director, Communications, this role will lead the implementation of media relations and thought leadership plans for CIFAR.
- Build and expand relationships with Canadian, U.S. and international media to generate and increase media coverage for CIFAR, including positioning CIFAR staff, scholars and fellows as thought leaders in emerging news trends/stories.
- Lead media relations at all CIFAR events and for all CIFAR projects and initiatives.
- Write a variety of documents on specific issues including articles and materials for publication/distribution in both print, broadcast and online.
- Oversee, draft and execute a monthly internal newsletter as part of the internal corporate communications strategy.
- Collaborate with the AI Communications Lead to ensure all media outreach is consistent, collaborative and supportive of each other, and avoid any overlap.
- Draft and create speeches, speaking notes, op-eds, presentations and other relevant materials for CIFAR’s President & CEO, the Board, executive team and other staff – as required.
- Develop and nurture relationships within the CIFAR community and with external partners to support communications goals.
- Contribute to strategic communications planning, and other major initiatives of the department and organization.
- Produce relevant news reports for the organization; oversee and maintain systems for tracking media contacts; measure and analyze the effectiveness of media activities; produce CIFAR’s bi-weekly report to the Board of Directors.
- Review research papers, conduct interviews, write, edit and facilitate production of online, print, video, podcast and other materials.
- Other duties as assigned
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant communications and/or media relations experience, ideally in an agency setting or not-for-profit environment.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in journalism, public relations, corporate communications or an equivalent and relevant combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of communications principles and practices as they apply to media relations and thought leadership strategy.
- Knowledge of Canadian and international media landscape, including established relationships with media and influencers. Experience securing major coverage in Canadian and international media.
- Bilingual in English and French is preferred.
- Well-developed research, analytical, fact-checking, copy writing and editing skills.
- Computer skills required to use standard office software and produce materials for the website.
- Experience with science, research and technology media is a major asset.
Core Professional/Technical Knowledge & Skills required for the position:
- Proactive, creative and solutions-oriented. Ability to work independently on projects of varying complexity while managing multiple priorities.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing demands and demonstrated ability to manage priorities in a high-profile, time-sensitive environment.
- Marketing and communications skills, such as writing scripts and overseeing creation of a broad range of compelling editorial and promotional materials (e.g. print, digital, video, event)
- Research and analysis literate. Able to identify sources, research and analyze, and capture the essence of information in order to develop and prepare clear and engaging stories and materials.
- Relationship and interpersonal abilities which include interviewing credible sources of information, managing projects, consulting with and gaining trust and credibility with internal clients, managing expectations and responding quickly and collaboratively to unexpected obstacles.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply HERE by Sunday, November 27th at 11:59pm EST. Please include a cover letter, resume, 1 speech sample, and 1 media release sample. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
CIFAR is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We recognize that bringing together individuals from multiple backgrounds, perspectives and experiences is integral to advancing excellence and increasing the impact of our organization. Our leadership, staff and volunteers strive to create an equitable, diverse and inclusive workplace and, in turn, an environment that will give our diverse global community of researchers the support to successfully address the most important questions facing science and humanity. Ensuring that every person feels valued and welcome, regardless of age, education, sexual orientation, gender expression and identity, parental status/responsibility, immigration status, Indigenous status, religion, disability, language, race, place of origin, ethnicity, culture, socio-economic status, and other attributes is vital to achieving our mission. We strongly encourage applications from members of our society who face systemic barriers and biases, including, but not limited to, women, Indigenous persons, members of visible minority/racialized communities, 2SLGBTQ+ persons, members of marginalized gender identity communities, and persons with disabilities. Applicants may confidentially self-identify at the time of application.
ACCESSIBILITY FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES – CIFAR is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the Ontario Human Rights Code. To request a reasonable accommodation, please email email@example.com and include the term ‘Accessibility’ in the Subject Line, or call 416-971-4251. Please provide your name, preferred contact method, and a detailed description of the nature of any accommodation that you may require. Please include any materials or processes that may be used to ensure your equal participation.
CIFAR frequently communicates in both official languages and our preference is to hire employees who are fluent in both English and French where possible. Other languages are also considered an asset. For a French version of the job posting, please visit www.cifar.ca.
CIFAR is supported by the governments of Canada, Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, and Quebec as well as international partner organizations, individuals, foundations, and corporations.