The First Nations Financial Management Board (The FMB) is Canada’s only legislated body that develops and publishes First Nations Financial Management and Financial Performance Standards and upon request certifies First Nations compliance to those standards. The FMB is an Aboriginal institution that provides a suite of financial management tools and services to First Nations governments seeking to strengthen their fiscal stewardship and accountability regime and develop necessary capacity to meet their expanding fiscal and financial management requirements.
The FMB is one of the First Nation institutions created through the First Nations Fiscal Management Act (FMA). This federal legislation is designed primarily to provide participating First Nations with the tools and capacity needed to facilitate their participation in long-term pooled borrowing through the Capital Markets – on a similar basis as other governments in Canada – to support their social and economic development objectives.
Reporting to the Director, the Senior Relationship Manager is accountable for building relationships while supporting new and existing clients with the FMB. The Senior Relations Manager direct the work of the Relationship Managers and coordinates and collaborates with all FMB business lines and contributes to a high performing and engaged relationship building team.
- Supervises, manages, and supports the work conducted by the FMB Relationship Managers and Event Coordinator;
- In collaboration with the Director, evaluates the individual performance of assigned staff;
- Makes recommendations to the Director to maximize staff performance and productivity by enduring effective people management and continuous improvement measures are undertaken within the department;
- Collaborates with the Director to conduct all activities related to building and growing a high-performance team in accordance with the approved HR Policy and through the effective use of training and mentoring programs.
- For approval by the Board and Director of Market Development, Financial Administration Laws and Stakeholder Relations;
- Work with other MLS Senior Managers to develop and implement a marketing and outreach strategy designed to generate interest and promote The Fiscal Management Act (FMA) and FMB Certification’s to prospective clients;
- Work within a team approach to develop outreach activities that speak to the client’s needs, concerns, and objectives;
- Develop and support the implementation of customized strategic engagement approaches for targeted First Nation clients and our new client segment Tribal Councils and First Nation Non-Profit Organization’s;
- Support Relationship Managers to develop rapport with potential and current clients to provide support that will continually improve client relationships;
- Conduct scans of the economic landscape in each region, identify potential market opportunities that First Nations and our new client segment might be able to capitalize on;
- Support development and delivery of client presentations by Relationship Mangers;
- Coordinate FMB presence at national and regional conferences;
- Collaborate with other business lines supporting the Clients in their journey towards certification.
- Oversee Relationship Managers to support their clients from the initial engagement through to Certifications;
- Oversee Relationship Managers to understand client stakeholder needs and objectives;
- Collaborate with other business lines supporting the Clients in their journey towards Certifications.
Stakeholder Relations & Engagement
- For approval by the Board and Director of Market Development, Financial Administration Laws and Stakeholder Relations:
- Work with other Senior Managers to develop an FMB stakeholder relationships strategy to ensure that FMB engages with key individuals and groups, and keeps a ‘finger on the pulse’;
- Develops strategic relationships with stakeholders and agencies whose mandate and work will help advance FMB’s objectives;
- Coordinates with First Nations Finance Authority (FNFA), First Nations Tax Commission (FNTC) on The Fiscal Management Act (FMA) brand marketing to ensure a consistent message;
- Manages initiatives to develop new FMB client groups, services, and business lines
- Supports and helps facilitate integrated thought leadership efforts, ideas, and initiatives to identify new opportunities for FMB services;
- Attends industry functions to identify relevant opportunities, trends, campaigns etc. to further ‘brand value’;
- Initiates and coordinates dialogue with financial service providers, industry leaders and federal/provincial government officials as directed;
- Proactively identifies and maintains relationships with financial and professional service providers that service the First Nations.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field;
- Minimum 3 years’ management experience in in a business development related role with demonstrated ability to lead and supervise staff;
- Previous experience working with First Nations required;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including outstanding oral and written communication capabilities;
- Working knowledge and experience preparing budgets;
- Demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service;
- Intermediate to Advanced effective working knowledge of MS Suite;
- Ability to conduct and or support client presentations virtual and eventually in person;
- Must have an understanding, awareness and appreciation of Indigenous culture and history;
- Willingness to participate in ongoing education and training for the role including Indigenous Cultural studies;
- Must be fluent in English (spoken and written), French language is considered an asset.
Equivalent or relevant education and/or experience may be considered.
- Lives the FMB’s core values and leads by consistent example; daily actions are consistent with espoused values and demonstrates expectations. Helps others understand the organization’s vision and values and keeps them at the forefront of organizational decision making and action;
- Maintains a professional and positive manner even under changing or uncertain conditions. Works well with a wide range of individuals to provide, support, coaching, encouragement, and direction;
- Engages others in order to accomplish organizational goals and strategies;
- Gains support of ideas, proposals and solutions from others, helps others to understand complex initiatives and sensitive situations to resolve disagreements and conflicts and considers other opinions while holding strong to firm directions and goals;
- Ability to plan and deliver oral and written communications presentations that makes an impact;
- Conveys information in a way that is confident, professional, and easy for others to understand;
- The ability to express and transmit information with consistency and clarity, summarizing information according to the audience to promote engagement and increase understanding;
- Uses active listening techniques to effectively understand provided feedback.
- Shows commitment to the organizational vision and strategic goals by acting in accordance to organizational expectations and through having a solid understanding of the internal environment.
- Ability to gain others’ support while working towards a common goal;
- The ability to develop and maintain partnerships with others internally and externally to FMB;
- The ability to notice, interpret and anticipate client concerns and feelings with tact and diplomacy;
- Shows respect for the diversity of our client’s communities.
- Demonstrates an ability to focus time and effort on day-to-day goals and objectives, and the steps needed to achieve them;
- Follows through and completes overlapping projects;
- Sets priorities to constructively address the specific needs of stakeholders and ensures timely delivery;
- Stays focused and balances changing or competing priorities and responsibilities.
- This position is based in the assigned Region;
- Requires extensive national travel (travel currently on hold due to COVID-19);
- Evening and weekend work may be required.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary with bonus eligibility;
- Flexible 37.5-hour work week
- Employer paid extended benefits;
- Matching group RRSP contributions;
- Generous annual vacation allowance and paid stat & non-stat days;
- Work-life balance;
- Professional development & career growth opportunities.
FMB is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes and celebrates the diversity of all First Nations and people across Canada. We are an inclusive organization that treats all employees equally. As a First Nations Organization, applicants of Indigenous descent are highly encouraged to apply.