Sr. Underwriter, Property
Working within the Ontario Region General Property team in Toronto, the role of a market facing underwriter is to establish and foster broker and customer relationships while underwriting a profitable renewal portfolio of complex, large property customers with revenues between $300M – $1B.
Supported by a dedicated local team of Underwriting Assistants, Risk Engineers, International Service Specialists and an industry leading claims team, this is your opportunity to join a growing and highly successful organization.
• High School Diploma or Equivalent and 3 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area. For SURETY POSITIONS ONLY: OR Finance, Accounting or Banking experience
• High School Diploma or Equivalent and 6 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
• Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 1 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area
• Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 4 or more years of experience in the Claims or
Underwriting Support area
• Knowledge of line/s of business and the legal and regulatory guidelines
• Knowledge of time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business
• Experience with Microsoft Office
• Minimum 5 years of demonstrated underwriting or broking experience within Property
• Completed or pursuing CIP designation
• Post-secondary education or equivalent industry training and experience
• Strong business acumen and communication skills.
• Intermediate to Advances Microsoft Office skills
• As a customer led organization, you must lead innovation and drive change by challenging the status quo
• Establish trusting relationships with brokers and customers in varying industry segments
• Build a pipeline of new business targets with assigned brokers.
• Strong decision-making skills and the ability to bring creativity to underwriting risks
• Highly analytical and willing to further develop in technical risk areas
• Interpretation of risk engineering reports and risk recommendations issued
• Ability to utilize modern online underwriting tools, rating and modelling.
• Global CAT modelling and accumulation management
• International deal and structure management
• Primary / Excess layering
• Attention to detail with contract certainty on quotes and wordings issued.
• Manuscript and non-standard wording reviews in line with Zurich framework.
• Thorough documentation and completion of files, narratives, and systems
• Understanding of regional / local insurance markets and competitor landscape
• Strong organizational, deal management and negotiation skills
• Highly collaborative and proactively drive involvement of functional areas in the underwriting process, including risk engineering, claims, actuarial, finance, distribution and other lines of business.
A future with Zurich
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 148 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. We are a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. Today, we serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology and insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, Zurich strives to provide ongoing career development opportunities and foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and barrier-free environment resulting in an accessible organization for employees, customers, and other parties who interact with, or on behalf of, Zurich.
We strive to achieve a workplace free of discrimination of all forms, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in a job opportunity, please advise if you require an accommodation, so we can work with you to provide a more accessible process.
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich Canadian Holdings Limited. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.