Surety Underwriter or Senior Surety Underwriter
Zurich Insurance Company Ltd is actively looking for a Surety Underwriter or Senior Surety Underwriter to join our Canadian Surety team in Toronto. Reporting directly to the National Director, Core Contract Surety, and working alongside an experienced team of underwriters, this is a technical and market facing position requiring experience within Contract Surety lines of business. This role will be filled at either the Underwriter or Senior Underwriter level. The hiring manager will determine the appropriate level based upon the selected applicant’s experience and skillset relative to the qualifications listed for this position.
As a member of Zurich’s Surety team, you will have the opportunity to enhance, fully apply and hone your underwriting, financial and credit analysis, and marketing skills. You will be responsible for new business production, underwriting and retention of existing accounts under limited direction as well as actively engaging in the marketplace to enhance the Zurich Canada brand. You will seek to maximize underwriting profitability through the use of The Zurich Way of Underwriting Framework within delegated authority levels on accounts of moderate technical complexity while ensuring high level service to customers.
As the Surety Business Unit continues to grow, your personal learning and development opportunities will grow, while you develop your Underwriting and Portfolio Optimization skills all while contributing to Zurich Canada’s results.
High School Diploma or Equivalent and 1 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Market Facing area, or finance, accounting, banking (credit) or construction related experience.
- Developed industry and surety product knowledge including legal and regulatory environment
- Knowledge of underwriting philosophy, techniques, national/local filing regulations and guidelines
- Understanding of the structure of broker relationships
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Experience working on time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business
- Experience working in a team environment
University degree or post-secondary education
- Strong working knowledge of Contract Surety line of business including legal and regulatory framework
- Prior banking and / or construction industry experience would be an asset
• Developer Surety experience would be an asset
- Ability to effectively assess risk
- Independent and strategic thinker with strong negotiation skills and confident decision-maker
- Strong broker relationships
- Effective and demonstrated skill in relationship building, active listening, needs analysis, multi-tasking and win-win negotiation
- Possess a high level of customer service by meeting or exceeding broker and / or customer expectations
- Excellent listening, verbal, written communication and inter-personal skills
- Microsoft Office experience
Job Accountabilities – Key Accountabilities
Production and underwriting of new and existing contract surety business. Serving as key contact, underwrite an assigned portfolio of accounts with a modest level of autonomy, making thorough assessments of customer’s financial, technical, and organizational capacity within Zurich’s appetite, balanced with sound business opportunity, in accordance with department policies and procedures.
• Provide detailed recommendations of bond and account support utilizing your skills in financial and credit analysis.
• Proactively seek new account opportunities by managing existing and developing new relationships with key brokers.
• Make broker/customer and on-sight calls with a planned and well-prepared purpose.
• Negotiate account and / or bond specific terms & conditions.
• Participation in team meetings providing updates related to assigned portfolio of accounts, brokers and / or territory, market intelligence, etc.
• Proactively engage in the target account process, developing and managing a qualified list of opportunities.
• Internal marketing and production in support of cross-sell efforts.
• External marketing to new and existing broker partners.
• Contribute to development of underwriting manuals, programs and guidelines.
• Regular attendance at industry, broker and customer events and functions.
• Model behaviours that demonstrate commitment to corporate values.
• Provide guidance and support for team members.
• Take action to manage own personal development.
• Business travel, as required.
• Extended hours during peak periods, as required.
• Maintain a valid driver’s license, as required
• Regular predictable attendance
• Visibility in the office, as required.
A future with Zurich
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 148 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. We are a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. Today, we serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology and insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, Zurich strives to provide ongoing career development opportunities and foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and barrier-free environment resulting in an accessible organization for employees, customers, and other parties who interact with, or on behalf of, Zurich. We strive to achieve a workplace free of discrimination of all forms, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in a job opportunity, please advise if you require an accommodation, so we can work with you to provide a more accessible process.
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich Canadian Holdings Limited. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.