Date: Oct 12, 2021
Location: To Be Determined, ON, CA
Company: Hydro One Networks Inc
43405 – To Be Determined – Regular – Ongoing
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
Responsible for provision of wide range of customer electrical services such as connections, upgrades and emergency repairs. Manage and supervise staff, organize schedule and assign routine and special duties to technical, trades and Society staff, providing instruction, guidance and checks necessary to ensure safety, work quality, accuracy and conformity to governing regulations.
- Make effective recommendations regarding staff changes or promotions and maintain discipline. Provide advice and guidance relative to staff problems. Responsible for developing teamwork with peers and developing a teamwork environment amongst subordinates.
- Responsible for sound environmental practices and compliance with approved legislation. Administer the general Operations Centre operation, ensure that adequate security, fire and safety measures are taken, and precautions observed. Ensure that personnel are provided adequate training, be aware of fluctuating workload and initiate measures necessary to maintain operating efficiency. Participate in meetings of both local and province-wide scope and contribute to the formulation of new or revised policy affecting Provincial Lines and Zone operations. Direct the disposal of obsolete equipment, perform work standard studies and prepare reports. Authorize expense reports and other personnel forms as delegated. Ensure adequate training for subordinates, administer pay and personnel matters.
- Supervise Operations Centre(s) technical activity within your region. Plan and direct the day-to-day preventive and other necessary maintenance to rural lines and associated equipment, street lighting systems, rights-of-way including fencing, ditching, tree pruning and weed control, buildings and grounds. Supervise work performed on lines above rural line voltage and be accountable to Zone for work performed. Plan and direct day-to-day operation relative to the implementation of rural plant. Supervise the installation of electric service, special metering devices and initiate requests for power meter tests. Direct the installation and maintenance of fuses, reclosures, breakers, repeater switches and other safety devices in accordance with Zone fuse, coordination plan. Investigate, and provide details and sketches of proposed line crossings to Zone and direct pole replacement program in accordance with Work Management instructions. May direct and be responsible for routine maintenance and minor repair relative to stations within area jurisdiction having limited technical responsibility in this regard. May operate shops, garages or other repair depots engaged in the repair and minor maintenance of quantities of equipment such as fleets of vehicles, boats and/or work equipment, etc.
- Supervise Operations Centre Design Services staff. Ensure staff follow the appropriate processes related to accounting and clerical activities associated with the billing and collection of authorized charges relative to the installation of services and/or revenue from sale of power, the maintenance of area stores and the accounting for tools and office equipment. Prepare or supervise preparation of reports and the various correspondence relative to Zone operation.
- Participate in planning of Zone capital expenditures, such as line extensions, street lighting, plant betterment, etc. Be aware of load growth or other conditions necessitating modification of existing plant or services, or extensions thereto. Study requirements and participate with planning staff in preparation of plans for construction and expenditure, attend meetings and supervise the implementation of the program in accordance with direction.
- Manage assigned work processes, monitor, evaluate and recommend changes and/or improvements to ensure efficient and effective completion of work as required in Service Level Agreements or contracts.
- Contribute to and review information and estimates provided for negotiating/bidding on distribution work. Evaluate the complete package, identify and recommend potential changes to improve the final package including prices and service levels.
- Provide advice and recommendations on capabilities, price, service levels and other deliverables as part of negotiation of Service Level Agreements or Contracts.
- Assist in discussions, problem solving and issue resolution with customers regarding negotiation, implementation and ongoing work performance of Service Level Agreements or Contracts.
- Deal with the consumer service requirements providing advice to customers relative to their electrical problems, interpreting wiring code and drawing attention to hazards. Advise new customers’ relative new construction, rates and application procedure and costs. Deal with customer complaints and initiate remedial action. Plan local interruptions necessary for maintenance and advise all affected customers and DOMC of interruptions affecting stations and act on its instruction. Assist in the transfer of customers’ supply and services to municipalities and provide various technical and/or administrative services to municipalities upon request or by contract arrangement. Arrange for exhibits, speakers, films, etc., for public meetings and be prepared to participate in local public meetings to promote or defend corporate policy. Foster good public relations at all times.
- Participate in cross-functional teams to implement customer products and programs in the areas of asset planning and operations, customer relations, customer connections, information management, code compliance application of tariffs within timelines.
- Liaise with technical specialists within and outside the company for the exchange of data and consultation in areas of mutual interests and integrate the recommendations into policies, processes and products being developed or delivered to customers.
- In consultation with the Senior Advisor, Customer Products and Delivery, develop and implement work plans to deliver policies and products designed to address expectations of Customers (LDCs, load customers, generators) regulatory and shareholder and improve customer’s knowledge and understanding of new obligations and processes in the deregulated Ontario electricity market.
- Provide advice and deliver communications products to external groups to assist in their understanding of regulatory codes, business policies and strategies.
- Perform miscellaneous duties and tasks such as necessary to process joint use agreements or under take special studies of a clerical or technical nature. May perform work of subordinates as necessary to maintain schedules etc.
Manage the unit and achieve the approved programs and targeted results through:
- Maintaining a team of subordinates (Tech FLMs) who are capable of producing the outputs required.
- Ensure subordinates are able and willing to produce the desired output, and that subordinate managers continually improve the processes for achieving the outputs.
- Assess staff capability to do the required work, now and in the future.
- Conduct personal effectiveness reviews of subordinates’ managers/specialists to build relationships and trust, and to improve effectiveness.
- Mentor and counsel subordinates-once-removed.
Accountability for the Outputs of Others:
- Set the appropriate context for subordinates (i.e. corporate strategies and policies, accountabilities, tasks, budget and Programs), compliance and performance targets, expectations for continuous improvement, etc.)
- Set an effective framework of policies and procedures for the work of the unit.
- Know and ensure own and subordinates’ compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements, and all corporate policies and procedures, and generally accepted practices relating to the work of the unit.
- Establish a two-way working relationship with subordinates to solicit their views on conditions and potential changes effecting their work, and continuous improvement opportunities.
- Requires a knowledge of customer service and distribution function in order to supply electrical power and service to customers of a Utility Customer Centre.
- Requires a knowledge of customer operations sufficient to lead a staff of mixed trades.
- Requires a knowledge of project management and human relations to negotiate effectively with customers and the public, a knowledge of computer applications related to distribution network systems.
- Requires a good knowledge of English to effectively communicate.
- Requires extensive experience in customer service and distribution.
- Requires an understanding of Corporate Safety Rules, Occupational Health and Safety Act and legislative requirements, Work Protection Code, environmental issues affecting the Corporation.
- Requires experience in handling complaints and dealing with retail customers, mid-sized customers, generators, LDC’s Municipalities.
- Requires experience in the supervision of trades and technical staff, experience in promoting and developing a teamwork environment with both staff and peers.
- Requires experience in carrying out the broad scope of administrative responsibilities associated with monitoring, coordinating, and controlling the work activities of a large staff.
- A period of over 10 years and up to and including 12 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2021.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected] Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: October 19, 2021
In the event you are experiencing difficulties applying to this job please consult our help page here.