Title: Technical Writer
Location: Canada – Remote
Employment status: Temporary full time – 12 months.
Salary band: $46,893 – $68,385 / year
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC) – one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet and an awardee on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022 – is seeking a Technical Writer to join our Learning and Development team.
We are guided by our Fundamental Principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons who share our values and want to contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace to apply.
The incumbent will work in collaboration with the Manager – Learning and Development and closely with subject matter experts and stakeholders to develop and maintain documentation that enables our customers to adopt digital products successfully. As a technical writer will bring strong hands-on experience in presenting complex technical processes as comprehensive, user-friendly communication. In addition, the willingness and ability to immerse in learning the details of digital products and unpack the information clearly for our users.
In this role, you will:
- Work with internal teams and cross-functionally to obtain an in-depth understanding of the product and the documentation requirements
- Analyze existing resources to identify content that can be leveraged and repurposed
- Write, review and maintain clear, concise, correct and high-quality documentation
- Produce organized, comprehensive, and easy-to-understand technical content in the form of help documents, user manuals/guides, job aids, workflows, checklists, reference guides, knowledge base articles, interactive documents, tutorials, etc.
- Ensure brand adherence, consistency and alignment of style and tone with CRC principles
- Create and maintain the information architecture and templates for single-sourcing and repurposing
- Publish content on knowledge management and content management platforms, as required
- Provide peer review support. Coach, guide and collaborate with other technical writers, as needed.
- Work on any other initiatives or tasks, as may be requested, from time to time
What we are looking for:
- Post-graduate degree or certificate in technical communication, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience in structured authoring/topic-based help
- Prior experience working within SaaS or web-based technology environment
- Hands-on experience in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Teams, etc.), Adobe Acrobat Pro, Google Docs, SharePoint & Wiki, Camtasia, SnagIT and any Content/Knowledge Management Systems
- Excellent written communication in English required, Fluency in French an asset
- Ability to develop clear, comprehensive documentation aligned to document and brand standards
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with little direct supervision
- Portfolio of digital technical writing experience is an asset
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
- If you are selected for this role, you will be required to complete a successful pre-employment screening process which includes a satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check (E-PIC).
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground).
This position is open until filled, however qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Qualified applicants who apply after the selection process has started, may be held for a second review if needed OR reviewed for alternative roles. We appreciate the time and effort it takes to apply and thank you in advance.
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.