- Ontario NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- Alberta NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- British Columbia NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- Saskatchewan NationTalk
Technician – WatSan Delegate
Title: Technician – WatSan Delegate
Location: International missions – Various
Type of contract: Casual
Salary band: $48,389 – $51,835 /year
Join the world’s largest humanitarian network. The Canadian Red Cross Society (CRCS) is a not for profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping Canadians, as well as the most vulnerable throughout the world.
The Canadian Red Cross – International Operations is seeking experienced Water Sanitation (WatSan) professionals to join our Emergency Response Unit (ERU) delegate register! When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, rather you are applying for a position on the ERU register, to be called upon for future emergency deployments, as and when the need for your professional skillset is required. As opportunities become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
Emergency Response Units (ERU) are teams of trained technical specialists who are ready to deploy on a short notice. ERUs are a vital part of the Red Cross’ disaster and emergency response system and are used when the local capacity is overwhelmed. They are designed to be self-sufficient for one month but can operate for up to four months, operating with pre-packed sets of standardized equipment for immediate use. The Canadian Red Cross maintains a roster of vetted and trained personnel ready to be deployed anywhere on short notice in response to international emergencies (natural disasters, conflict, or smaller-scale emergencies). Missions are typically four to six weeks and delegates work closely with the local National Society to provide specific services where local infrastructure are damaged, temporarily out of use or insufficient in coping with needs. Due to the unpredictability of disasters and the response required, individuals may not be deployed until several months or years after becoming part of the roster. Once on the roster, you will be asked to confirm your continuing participation and keep your profile up to date.
This opportunity means that if you are selected to be part of the ERU WatSan register, your application will be reviewed on a rolling-basis, and should you meet the role qualifications, we will contact you accordingly once there is a direct requirement for your profile and start you on the path of deploying with us as a delegate!
As a Technician – WatSan Delegate you will:
- Setting up, operating, and maintaining all water, sanitation and hygiene support systems of the ERU for the duration of the deployment including, but not limited to, water treatment system, latrines, showers, sinks, and waste management facilities
- Act as the technical focal point for matters pertaining to Watsan, including during set-up, operation, maintenance, and handover/pack-down phases
- Ensure all required quality management protocols for te drinking water treatment system and distribution system are performed, including source water selection, system start-up and shut-down, operational monitoring and controls, water samplig and analysis, equipment calibration and maintenance, record keeping, and all other required quality management protocols to ensure drinking water quality
- Support and coordinate ERU local staff to undertake professional/technical activities. This could include supervision, mentoring and training.
- Supporting and carrying out various logistics functions.
What we are looking for:
- Minimum of four years’ experience in the following core areas: water, sanitation, hygiene
- Licenced professional engineer in applicable discipline (water/sanitation, civil, environmental, other), Certified Engineering Technologist, Certified Technician, or other relevant technical certification; and/or
- Drinking Water Treatment System (DWTS) Operator with level certification based on classification of system being operated (minimum Class 2 certification; preferred for deployment of DWTS only)
- Minimum of one year experience in living or working in a cultural context other than their own in Canada or abroad
- Fluency in English
- Availability to deploy on short notice—48-72 hours and on unaccompanied missions of 4-6 weeks
You will stand out if you have:
- Fluency in additional languages (Spanish, French, Arabic & Mandarin are major assets)
- Experience working in an emergency context
- International driving license OR experience driving standard transmission
- Previous experience working/volunteering with the Red Cross or Red Crescent Movement
- Skills in training, facilitation, coaching and development of staff and volunteers
*Please note that further qualifications in specific technical disciplines may be required based upon the response context.
Canadian Red Cross Benefits:
- Competitive pay and benefits package
- Travel, accommodation, medical & insurance coverage when deploying
- Pre-deployment and recurring training programs and professional development events in Canada and abroad
- And much more! See the list here: http://www.redcross.ca/about-us/jobs/before-you-apply/benefits
- Want to foresee how you will make a difference? Visit our following websites below to get a glimpse of what we do, aspire to be one of our many current delegates, locate where we deploy, and much more!
If you have what we are looking for and looking to make a difference, we encourage you to apply!
Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground).
The Canadian Red Cross is an organization guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: