Vice President Property and Team Leader : Technical Underwriting
As a member of the Technical Underwriting management team, the role has three main area of focus: It provides technical support for the property Line of Business across Zurich Canada three Large property, mid market and programs. It also provides leadership to the technical directors of the other standard Lines of Business (Auto and Liability). Finally, it oversees the Zurich Canada product development and Forms Management process. The Zurich Canada technical directors provide underwriting leadership; directs the implementation and sustainment of The Zurich Way of Underwriting. Leads underwriting operational transformation and supports a sound governance framework in their assigned area. They contribute to the development of strategic LoB underwriting goals, and underwriting policy for the assigned LoB. Delivers Key Performance Indicators through oversight of their respective LoB portfolio, addresses emerging issues and identifies opportunities working with local teams. The role also drive LoB product management for standard lines and forms management for all LOB in Canada. Effectively partners with Underwriting Business Units to execute underwriting strategy. The role also interacts with regional technical directors and their team as well as regional product development and their team.
• Bachelors Degree and 10 or more years of experience in the Operations area
• Experience working globally or internationally with underwriting partners
• Supervisory or management experience
• Fellow of the insurance institute
• Technical knowledge and multi-level leadership skills reflective of a practitioner who has been operating at a senior underwriting level or manager role
• Track record of fostering business improvement and delivering change in a complex insurance environment
Job Accountabilities – Key Accountabilities
Ensures consistent and enhanced underwriting across the property LoBs, the standard LOB and drives portfolio management to improve underwriting performance.
• Describes, encourages and enforces a rigorous underwriting process and procedure monitoring system.
• Delivers on the standard LoBs plan; provides expert support to Underwriting and Technical Underwriting.
• Plans for financial and human resources to achieve LoB objectives.
• Sets and delivers Underwriting Key Performance Indicators including Actual Premium /Technical Price (AP/TP) metrics.
• Address emerging issues and identifies opportunities for growth or change within the standard LoB.
• Establishes exposure identification, risk assessment, risk response, control activities and monitoring of the standard LoB.
• Ensures effective leadership and management of Underwriting people resources: pursuing active talent management, driving capability development and creating a high performance culture.
• Monitors framework for underwriting decisions e.g. authority grants, referrals, technical underwriting reviews.
• Provides underwriting insight for underwriting tools.
• Develops, promotes and maintains strategic partnerships both internally and externally.
• Operationalize the standard LoBs underwriting strategy for product development in close collaboration with the Underwriting Business Units.
• Drives standardization and simplification of product and process across the LoB wherever feasible.
• Identify LoB Technical training and develops relational LoB training framework.
• Interacts with industry and regulatory bodies as needed.
A future with Zurich
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 148 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. We are a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. Today, we serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology and insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, Zurich strives to provide ongoing career development opportunities and foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and barrier-free environment resulting in an accessible organization for employees, customers, and other parties who interact with, or on behalf of, Zurich. We strive to achieve a workplace free of discrimination of all forms, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in a job opportunity, please advise if you require an accommodation, so we can work with you to provide a more accessible process.
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich Canadian Holdings Limited. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.