2022-2025 Energy Action Plan will bring $194 million in energy investments
December 1, 2022
As part of its effort to support secure, affordable and sustainable energy in the Northwest Territories, the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) has released the 2022-2025 Energy Action Plan.
Over the next three years, $194 million will be invested to implement 68 actions and initiatives that advance the objectives outlined in the 2030 Energy Strategy.
Activities under the updated action plan include grants and incentives to save energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions in buildings, rebates to deploy electric vehicles in hydro communities, support for communities to develop clean energy projects, as well as continuation of major energy infrastructure projects.
The actions and initiatives proposed under the action plan are expected to reduce NWT greenhouse gas emissions by 51 kilotonnes by 2025.
Issuing three-year action plans allows the GNWT and its partners to take an adaptive approach to implementing the Strategy. This allows the GNWT to take advantage of new technologies and opportunities as they arise.
“This action plan provides the GNWT and its partners with a roadmap over the next three years to advance initiatives that will contribute to reducing the cost of energy for residents, keeping our energy systems reliable, and reducing territorial GHG emissions. This new action plan is realistic and achievable, and is key to achieving the long-term economic, social and environmental well-being of the territory and its residents.”
– Diane Archie, Minister of Infrastructure
- The 2022-2025 Energy Action Plan is the second three-year plan the GNWT has developed since the release of its 2030 Energy Strategy in 2018.
- The GNWT will be undertaking a five-year review of the 2030 Energy Strategy in 2023.
- In 2021-2022, the GNWT and its partners invested $52.9 million in energy projects and initiatives. That was a 39% increase in investment compared to 2020-2021.
- The GNWT reports on progress being made on the Action Plan by releasing the Energy Initiatives Report annually.
For media requests, please contact:
Department of Infrastructure
Government of the Northwest Territories