Changes to travel restrictions regarding a Quebec border community / no new cases

    You can use your smart phone to browse stories in the comfort of your hand. Simply browse this site on your smart phone.

    Using an RSS Reader you can access most recent stories and other feeds posted on this network.

    SNetwork Recent Stories

Changes to travel restrictions regarding a Quebec border community / no new cases

by ahnationtalk on September 17, 2020286 Views

17 September 2020

FREDERICTON (GNB) – Residents of the Témiscouata Municipal Regional County in Quebec, along the northwestern New Brunswick border, will not be permitted to enter the province for day trips effective immediately.

“With the rise of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the Bas-Saint-Laurent region of Quebec, we must be prudent and keep doing our part to keep New Brunswick safe and slow the spread of COVID-19,” said Premier Blaine Higgs.

Residents of the area can still cross the border for essential reasons such as for medical appointments, approved work and shared child custody, as they have been throughout the pandemic. All previously approved registrations to and from Témiscouata for day trips are no longer valid. Unless exempt, individuals who travel to or from Témiscouata are once again required to self-isolate for 14 days when entering New Brunswick.

“This is a cabinet and COVID-19 all-party cabinet committee decision that took into consideration public health advice including epidemiology reports, rising cases and recent change in alerts levels in the Bas-Saint-Laurent region of Quebec,” said Higgs.

This change does not affect residents in Avignon Municipal Regional County and the Listuguj First Nation in Quebec near Campbellton. Day trips are still permitted for residents in those areas if they pre-register.

“Public Health will continue to monitor the situation in Quebec and provide advice to government regarding border measures,” said Dr. Jennifer Russell, chief medical officer of health. “Everyone must take precautions to limit the spread of the virus and keep the province in the Yellow level of recovery by protecting ourselves and others.”

No new cases

Public Health reported no new cases of COVID-19 today. The number of confirmed cases in New Brunswick is 194 and 190 have recovered. There have been two deaths, and the number of active cases is two. As of today, 68,050 tests have been conducted.

State of emergency extended

The state of emergency mandatory order was renewed today under the authority of the Emergency Measures Act.

Media Contact(s)

Bruce Macfarlane, communications, Department of Health, 506-444-4583.

NT5

Send To Friend Email Print Story

Comments are closed.

NationTalk Partners & Sponsors Learn More