Gwich’in Tribal Council (GTC) Board of Directors Meeting – September 24/25
On September 24 & 25, 2021, the GTC Board of Directors held their regular meeting in Aklavik.
At this meeting, the following key items were discussed:
- Update on the COVID-19 situation in the Northwest Territories.
- Board discussion and decision to reschedule the 2021 GTC Annual General Assembly to February 8-10, 2022 in Inuvik.
- Board approval of the Employment Agreement and updated Job Description for the GTC Grand Chief.
- Board approval for closure of the GTC Offices in Inuvik and Yellowknife, and the DGO Offices for the Christmas Holiday from December 20, 2021 to January 3, 2022.
Updates were also provided by the GTC Grand Chief and Staff on:
- Gwich’in Government – Grand Chief and Lead Negotiator Ken Kyikavichik provided an update of the recent Main Table Sessions in July. Work continues with Canada and the Government of the Northwest Territories on a revised Agreement-in-Principle for review by the upcoming Annual General Assembly;
- Updated By-Law template for the Designated Gwich’in Organizations (DGOs) to present to their upcoming Annual Assemblies in the fall of 2021;
- Gwich’in Settlement Corporation (GSC) –GSC Chair Kelly McLeod provided a report with continued growth in the GSC investment portfolio over the past year with the total value at approximately $125.8 million as of June 30, 2021;
- Gwich’in Development Corporation (GDC) – Interim CEO Roy Erasmus Jr. provided an update on recent activities including with the Inuvialuit Development Corporation and the Delta North Alliance, James Creek Remediation Program, Larga Ltd. and outlined potential opportunities;
- GTC’s Chief Financial Officer Steve Larkin presented GTC’s financial results as of August 31, 2021.
The next meeting for the GTC Board of Directors is scheduled for December 14-16, 2021 in Inuvik.