- Ontario NationTalk
- British Columbia NationTalk
- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- Alberta NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
Indigenous Languages Component — Indigenous Languages and Cultures Program : The application period closes November 29, 2021.
All applicants can resubmit an application for 2022-2023. Applicants that were previously approved for multi-year funding in 2021-2022 are still eligible to apply for additional funding for 2022-2023.
Priority will be given to applicants who have not already been approved for funding in 2022-2023 as part of a multi-year funding application. Read all eligibility requirements for more details.
The Indigenous Languages Component of the Indigenous Languages and Cultures Program supports the efforts of Indigenous communities and organizations to reclaim, revitalize, maintain and strengthen Indigenous languages.
Expected results include:
- Indigenous communities have access to resources to deliver activities that incorporate Indigenous languages;
- Indigenous individuals and groups are engaged in activities that strengthen Indigenous languages; and
- Indigenous individuals and groups are engaged as an integral part of Canadian society, and embrace and share their languages with other Canadians.
The Department of Canadian Heritage continues to collaborate with First Nations, Inuit and Métis Nation representatives in the management of the Indigenous Languages Component application and review process.
Who can apply
To be eligible for funding, you must be a Canadian organization or group, democratically held and managed, and in good standing. The following organizations are eligible for funding:
- Indigenous not-for-profit organization;
- Indigenous governing body such as a council, government or other entity that is authorized to act on behalf on an Indigenous group, community or people that holds rights recognized and affirmed by section 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982;
- Indigenous ad hoc committee that has formed to do a specific project;
- For-profit Indigenous organization, provided that the project for which you are requesting funding will not result in income generation for your sole benefit;
- Indigenous-led institution including accredited programs; and
- In exceptional circumstances to be approved by the Program, non-Indigenous not-for-profit organization, in close partnership with Indigenous organizations.
How to apply
For information regarding the objectives, the application process and to request and submit your application package,
please refer to the list below:
For First Nations languages projects
Applicant locationWhere to applyBritish ColumbiaFirst Peoples’ Cultural CouncilOntarioFirst Nations Confederacy of Cultural Education CentersNova ScotiaMi’kmaw Kina’matneweyOther regionsDepartment of Canadian Heritage
|Where to apply|
|The four Inuit regions will be responsible for the review process of the Inuit languages activities and projects.||Department of Canadian Heritage|
|Where to apply|
|The Métis Nation will be responsible for the review process of the Métis languages activities and projects.||Department of Canadian Heritage|
|Where to apply|
|Projects including Indigenous languages activities from more than one distinction are considered as Multi-distinctions. The distinctions are First Nations, Inuit and Métis.||Department of Canadian Heritage|
If you are applying to the Department of Canadian Heritage
Applicants applying to the Department of Canadian Heritage are required to:
- read the Application to the Department of Canadian Heritage Guidelines – Indigenous Languages Component in their entirety; and
- contact the Department of Canadian Heritage to request an application package and submit the required documentation.
Application deadline — Department of Canadian Heritage
|Fiscal year application||Single year||Multi‑year
|2022-2023||yes||no||November 29, 2021|
Indigenous Languages and Cultures Program
Department of Canadian Heritage
15 Eddy Street (15-8-E)
Gatineau, Québec K1A 0M5
- [email protected]
- 1-888-997-3123 (toll-free)
Agents are available to answer your questions Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (ET).
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is:
Comments are closed.