Intergovernmental Meeting between Tłı̨chǫ Government and Government of the Northwest Territories
BEHCHOKǪ ̨̀(April 20, 2021) – Premier Caroline Cochrane, Minister Diane Archie, Minister R.J. Simpson, Minister Shane Thompson, Minister Caroline Wawzonek, Minister Julie Green, and Minister Paulie Chinna met with the Tłı̨chǫGovernment Grand Chief George Mackenzie, Chief Charlie Football, and Chief Alfonz Nitsiza on April 19, 2021 in Behchokǫ̨̀, alongNT with MLA Jackson Lafferty.
The meeting focused on areas of mutual interest, including:
- continuing to strengthen government-to-government collaboration on key initiatives;
- maximizing housing opportunities, including funding opportunities;
- improving road access to Gamę̀tı̨̀;
- policing in Tłı̨chǫ communities;and
- continuing to work in partnership on barren-ground caribou and boreal caribou management.
By working in collaboration, the two governments have been able to address important issues impacting Tłı̨chǫ citizens.
- The Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding recognizes the importance of the government-to-government relationship between the Tłı̨chǫGovernment and the Government of the Northwest Territories.
- The agreement commits both governments to meet at least twice per year.
- The Working Together: Tłı̨chǫGovernment/GNWT Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding was initially signed in June 2012 and was renewed in 2014 and most recently in December 2018 for a four-year term.
For more information, contact:
Senior Communications Officer
Shared Corporate Services
Department of Finance
Tel: 1-867-767-9168 ext. 15015
Director (Interim), Department of Planning and Partnerships