Media Advisory – Lieutenant Governor’s Ontario Heritage Awards Presentation
Join the Honourable Elizabeth Dowdeswell and the Ontario Heritage Trust for the presentation of the 2017 Lieutenant Governor’s Ontario Heritage Awards.
Each year, the Lieutenant Governor’s Ontario Heritage Awards celebrate individuals, groups and communities for exceptional contributions to cultural and natural heritage conservation, environmental sustainability and biodiversity.
Date: Friday, February 23, 2018
Time: 6 p.m.
Location: Grand Staircase, Legislative Building, Queen’s Park, Toronto
Details: Media are advised to carry photo identification and arrive at the South Entrance by 5:45 p.m.
- Mi Young Kim (Toronto)
- Anna Maria Nanowski (Bradford West Gwillimbury)
- Lawrence Turner (Cambridge)
- Myno Van Dyke (Clarington)
Youth Achievement – Individual (also receiving the Young Heritage Leaders scholarship)
Youth Achievement – Groups
- Eye Was Not There (360) Project – Grade 11 Communications Technology class, St. Patrick’s Catholic High School (Sarnia)
- Immigrant Belonging Podcasts – Sociology class group project at the University of Toronto Scarborough
- Kensington Market: Hidden Histories – students in the Digital Tools in a Canadian Context course at the University of Toronto
Excellence in Conservation
- Brockville Railway Tunnel Committee for restoration and reopening of the Brockville Railway Tunnel
- ERA Architects for rehabilitation of Casey House, Toronto
- University of Windsor’s Department of History and Leddy Library, Chatham Sports Hall of Fame, and the Harding Family for Breaking the Colour Barrier: Wilfred “Boomer” and the Chatham Coloured All-Stars
- Friends of the Penitentiary Museum for In Our Own Words: the Links Between Kingston’s Heritage and its Penitentiaries
- 4elements Living Arts and their community partners for Billings Connections Trail: Nature. Art. Heritage. (Billings)
- Geraldine Govender for the Moose Cree Dictionary (Moose Cree First Nation)
- Journalists for Human Rights, Indigenous Reporters Program (Toronto)
- Red Sky Performance, Miigis Project (Toronto)
- Township of North Glengarry’s Arts, Culture and Heritage Committee for the Glengarry Routes Heritage Tour and Community Improvement Plan
- Jason Dickson and Vanessa Brown for London: 150 Cultural Moments (London)
- Alderville First Nation for restoration of the Alderville Black Oak Savanna
- David and Faith Clarkson for Applegarth Farm watercourse restoration, a partnership with Credit Valley Conservation (Caledon)
- Alderville First Nation for restoration and expansion of the Alderville Black Oak Savanna
- Bruce Trail Conservancy for its 50-year commitment to the creation, stewardship and promotion of the Bruce Trail
2017 Lieutenant Governor’s Ontario Heritage Award Recipients [PDF | 96 KB]
The Lieutenant Governor’s Ontario Heritage Awards are administered by the Ontario Heritage Trust, an agency of the Government of Ontario dedicated to identifying, preserving, protecting and promoting Ontario’s heritage.
For more information:
Contact: Catrina Colme, Senior Marketing and Communications Specialist