Minister Philpott celebrates infrastructure project to improve facilities at Seneca College
Federal investment of $24 million is creating jobs, expanding research and fostering innovation in Toronto
February 8, 2019 – Toronto, Ontario
The Honourable Jane Philpott, President of the Treasury Board and Minister of Digital Government, was at Seneca College today on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, to tour its new infrastructure project.
Seneca College received an investment of $24 million through the Government of Canada’s Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund to construct the Centre for Innovation, Technology and Entrepreneurship (CITE). This innovation facility will bring applied research and commercialization, specialized training, and business incubation and acceleration activities under one roof.
Building state-of-the-art facilities, labs and modern learning spaces is essential for skills and innovation. That’s why the Government invested $2 billion in 300 projects under the Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund to renew university and college campuses across the country. The Fund also supports improved energy efficiency of lab facilities to help reduce their impact on the environment.
The Government of Canada’s Innovation and Skills Plan aims to make this country a global centre for innovation—one that creates jobs, drives growth across all industries and improves the lives of all Canadians. Today’s announcement is a prime example of that vision in action.
“Seneca College is an anchor for innovation across the GTA. Our investment in the Centre for Innovation, Technology and Entrepreneurship will help researchers and students get the skills they need for the jobs of the future. We’re making smart infrastructure investments across the country to grow the middle class and connect Canadians with more opportunities to thrive.”
– The Honourable Jane Philpott, President of the Treasury Board and Minister of Digital Government
“This investment in Seneca College is boosting innovation and the economy in Don Valley North. It’s not only about creating jobs; it is also about preparing Canadians for the well-paying middle-class jobs of tomorrow.”
– Geng Tan, Member of Parliament for Don Valley North
“We’re delighted to be showcasing our CITE building as it nears completion. Thanks to the financial support of the federal government’s Strategic Investment Fund, CITE showcases Seneca’s commitment to innovation, technology and entrepreneurship. This new building brings applied research and commercialization, specialized training, and both student and business-led entrepreneurial activities under one roof. Infused with Indigenous design throughout, CITE has enabled us to create much-needed new spaces for teaching and learning, industry networking and more—benefitting our students and the community alike.”
– David Agnew, President, Seneca College
- The targeted, short-term investments under the Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund are promoting economic activity across Canada and helping Canada’s universities and colleges develop highly skilled workers, act as engines of discovery, and collaborate on innovations that help Canadian companies compete and grow internationally.
- The Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund is supporting the Government of Canada’s climate change objectives by encouraging sustainable and green infrastructure projects.
- Budget 2018 proposed a historic investment of nearly $4 billion in research, researchers and needed equipment.
- The Innovation and Skills Plan is helping grow the economy, creating middle-class jobs—2 million more in science- and tech-related fields by 2025—and providing Canadians with the skills they need to succeed.
Office of the Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada