Premier Caroline Cochrane released mandate letters for all members of Cabinet today.
Ministerial mandate letters provide more specific direction to each Minister on their individual responsibilities for carrying out the priorities of the 19th Legislative Assembly and the commitments identified in the Mandate of the Government of the Northwest Territories: 2019-2023.
The letters also set out the Premier’s expectations for how Ministers will conduct themselves as members of Cabinet and common direction on overall actions and priorities, including:
· Working effectively and regularly with Members of the Legislative Assembly and Standing Committees;
· Working as a cohesive team, recognizing that many important issues facing the GNWT do not exist in silos;
· Prioritizing productive partnerships with Indigenous governments and ensuring Cabinet decisions reflect the GNWT’s commitment to reconciliation and the affirmation and advancement of Indigenous rights and self-determination;
· Supporting expanded program and service delivery by Indigenous governments;
· Working closely with community and municipal governments;
· Undertaking meaningful dialogue with all residents and stakeholders;
· Making prudent financial management decisions and being accountable for them; and
· Addressing the ongoing legacies of colonialism to build a territory where people of all racial backgrounds have the opportunity to succeed.
Publicly releasing the letters reflects the commitment to make government more open and transparent, as stated in Cabinet’s Guiding Principles, and will help Members of the Legislative Assemble (MLAs), the media, and the public to hold Cabinet to account for the work they’ve committed to.
“These mandate letters form an integral and actionable part of the framework that will guide Cabinet Ministers in their work on behalf of the people of the Northwest Territories. The health of NWT residents remains our main priority as we continue to navigate our way through COVID-19, but we know it is also time to continue work on and advance our collective priorities for the benefit and prosperity of the people of the Northwest Territories.”
– Caroline Cochrane, Premier of the Northwest Territories
– The 19th Legislative Assembly is the third Assembly to post mandate letters publicly.
– The Mandate of the Government of the Northwest Territories (2019-2023) reflects the 22 priorities set by all members of the 19th Legislative Assembly, based on what Members heard from their constituents.
– The mandate will help guide and focus work to deliver on the priorities and describes what the GNWT will do, how the GNWT will do it, the estimated time it will take, and how success will be measured.
– Priorities of the 19th Legislative Assembly
– Mandate of the Government of the Northwest Territories (2019-2023)
– Mandate Letters
Government of the Northwest Territories