NTI: Celebrating Nunavut Day In A New Way
(July 3, 2020 – Iqaluit, Nunavut) – Nunavut Day will still be celebrated in 2020 with many activities. Due to COVID-19, this year’s events will see a shift from outdoor gatherings to a focus on online, TV, radio and social media activities.
Organizers are following the Chief Public Health Officer’s orders to avoid large gatherings of people. “Nunavut Day is the biggest day of celebration in the territory,” said NTI president Aluki Kotierk. “As Inuit we love outdoor community activities, where everyone is part of the shared experience which includes music, food, sports and games. However, the health and safety of everyone is more important.”
The Nunavut organizing committee has worked hard to come up with exciting events and contests that are safe for everyone, while celebrating this much-loved holiday.
Visit Nunavut Tunngavik Incorpoarted website, Facebook page or talk to your Community Liaison Officer for more information.
Highlights for July 9, 2020
Home Cook Challenge – a Nunavut-wide online cooking contest for kids, teens and adults. Contestants make their favourite recipe, take a photo and send it in. The judges are northern chefs: Sheila Flaherty from Iqaluit, Kelly Lindell from Rankin Inlet and Tasha Tologanak from Cambridge Bay. Deadline to enter is July 5. Winners will be announced on July 9.
TikTok Video Contest – everybody with a cell phone is invited to create a short video promoting Inuit culture, traditions and language, then post it to the social media app TikTok. Videos will be judged by Vinnie Karetak, Amber Lee and Pamela Hakongak Gross. Deadline to enter is July 5. Winners will be announced on July 9.
Airline Ticket Draw – NTI will be giving away two pairs of tickets—anywhere Canadian North Airlines flies—to Nunavut Inuit. Draw takes place on July 9 at 4:30 p.m. Winners must be 19 years of age as of July 9. Stay tuned to NTI Facebook page to find out the names of the lucky winners.
APTN – offers a full day of Inuktut programming for July 9, including pre-recorded messages from dignitaries including the GN Premier, NTI President, Commissioner and Regional Inuit Association Presidents.
On July 8 – CBC Radio call-in show in Inuktitut with guest Aluki Kotierk, from 1:00 to 3:00 pm EST. There will be many give-aways and prizes to the callers.
Sponsors of Nunavut Day 2020: Nunavut Tunngavik Incorporated, Government of Nunavut, Qikiqtani Inuit Association, Qikiqtaaluk Corporation, Kitikmeot Inuit Association and Canadian North, NorthwesTel, Nunavut Construction Corporation.
Watch ND activities live on NTI’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Tunngavik/
Director, Communications Trainee
T: 867-975-4907 T: 1-888-646-0006
Email: [email protected]
Backgrounder – NTI Contests:
Home Cook Challenge – How it works
• This is a Nunavut-wide, online cooking contest for kids, teens and adults.
• Contestants may pick any dish, make it, send a photo along with a brief explanation about why they love this dish.
• The dishes will be judged on originality, affordability and nutritional value. Bonus for country food!
• The judges are professional northern chefs: Sheila Flaherty from Iqaluit, Kelly Lindell from Rankin Inlet and Tasha Tologanak from Cambridge Bay.
• Once the judges narrow down their favourite recipes, they will make them live on NTI’s Facebook page at 1 p.m. on July 9 and announce the winners.
Register with [email protected] #NUDay2020. Deadline: July 5.
Home Cook Challenge – Prizes
Kids 1st – Bicycle & $100
2nd– Bicycle & $50
3rd – Fishing rod & $50
Teen 1st – Apple laptop & $1,000
2nd – iPad pro & $500
3rd – iPad pro & $250
Adult 1st – Canvas tent, 2 sleeping bags, Coleman stove & $3,000
2nd – Canvas tent, BBQ & $2,000
3rd – Fishing net, fishing rod, loaded tackle box & $1,000
TikTok Video Contest – How it works
• Everybody with a cell phone is invited to create a short video promoting Inuit culture, traditions and language.
• To enter, entries must include #NuDay2020 and be posted on the TikTok social media app www.tiktok.com.
• Video will be awarded up to 50 points for creativity and 50 for Inuit culture
• Videos will be judged by Vinnie Karetak, Amber Lee and Pamela Hakongak Gross.
• Deadline: July 5. Winners will be announced on July 9.
TikTok Video Contest – Prizes
1st – iPad Pro + Apple Pencil
2nd – Canon Rebel T7i Starter Kit
3rd – AirPod Pros + $200 cash
Download (PDF, 336KB)