PM announces appointment to the Supreme Court of Canada
27 July 2015
Prime Minister Stephen Harper today announced the appointment of Mr. Justice Russell Brown to the Supreme Court of Canada. Mr. Justice Brown will fill the seat previously occupied by Mr. Justice Marshall Rothstein. The appointment is effective August 31, 2015.
- Mr. Justice Brown received a Bachelor of Arts from the University of British Columbia and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Victoria. He also received a Master of Laws and a Doctor of Juridical Science, both from the University of Toronto. He is a member of the bars of British Columbia and Alberta.
- Mr. Justice Brown is appointed from the Court of Appeal of Alberta, sitting in Edmonton, where he also serves as a Judge of the Court of Appeal for the Northwest Territories and a Judge of the Court of Appeal of Nunavut. He previously served on the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta.
- Before being appointed to the bench, Mr. Justice Brown served as an Associate Professor and Associate Dean at the Faculty of Law, University of Alberta. He also served as Associate Counsel with Miller Thomson LLP in Edmonton and practiced as a member of the firms of Carfra & Lawton (now Carfra Lawton LLP) in Victoria and Davis & Company (now DLA Piper LLP) in Vancouver.
- Mr. Justice Brown will be the second member of the Supreme Court of Canada from a Western province, the other being the Chief Justice, Beverley McLachlin.
- The Supreme Court of Canada is Canada’s final court of appeal. It serves Canadians by deciding legal issues of public importance, thereby contributing to the development of all branches of law applicable within Canada. The independence of the Court, the quality of its work and the esteem in which it is held contribute significantly as foundations for a secure, strong and democratic country founded on the rule of law.
- The Government’s consultations included provincial governments, provincial Chief Justices, the Chief Justice of Canada, the Canadian Bar Association, provincial law societies, and members of the bar and bench.
“I am pleased to announce the appointment of Mr. Justice Russell Brown to the Supreme Court of Canada. Mr. Justice Brown brings to the Court wide experience as a law professor and legal scholar, a barrister, and a judge at both the trial court and appellate levels. His appointment is the result of broad consultations with prominent members of the legal community and we are confident he will be a strong addition to Canada’s highest court.” – Prime Minister Stephen Harper