Premier Cochrane announced portfolio assignments
Premier Caroline Cochrane announced the following portfolio assignments for Members of the Executive Council of the 19th Legislative Assembly today:
- Hon. Paulie Chinna – Minister of Municipal and Community Affairs, Minister Responsible for Northwest Territories Housing Corporation, Minister Responsible for Homelessness
- Hon. Katrina Nokleby – Minister of Infrastructure, Minister of Industry, Tourism and Investment, Minister Responsible for the Workers’ Safety and Compensation Commission
- Hon. R.J. Simpson – Minister of Education, Culture and Employment, Minister Responsible for the Public Utilities Board, Government House Leader
- Hon. Diane Thom – Deputy Premier, Minister of Health and Social Services, Minister Responsible for the Status of Women, Minister Responsible for Persons with Disabilities
- Hon. Shane Thompson – Minister of Environment and Natural Resources, Minister of Lands, Minister Responsible for Youth, Minister Responsible for Seniors, Minister Responsible for Northwest Territories Power Corporation
- Hon. Caroline Wawzonek – Minister of Finance, Minister of Justice
Premier Cochrane will be Minister of Executive and Indigenous Affairs.
“The results of the recent territorial election demonstrated that Northwest Territories have an appetite for change and I am pleased to welcome a new Cabinet that includes – for the first time in Canada and the Northwest Territories – a majority of women Cabinet Ministers. We are all looking forward to working together to deliver the change that NWT voters demanded with a progressive and balanced agenda on behalf of all residents of this territory.”
– Caroline Cochrane, Premier of the Northwest Territories
- Under the Legislative Assembly and Executive Council Act (LAEC Act), the Executive Council is composed of a Premier chosen by the Legislative Assembly and persons appointed by the Commissioner on the advice of the Legislative Assembly.
- The Commissioner, on the advice of the Premier, may appoint Ministers from among the Members of the Executive Council. The Commissioner may also revoke appointments as Minister on the advice of the Premier.
- The Executive Council is responsible for the overall management and direction of the executive government of the Northwest Territories, including matters of policy.
- All ministerial portfolio changes take effect at 5:00 p.m. on November 8, 2019.
Legislative Assembly and Executive Council Act
Executive Council Submissions Handbook
Media and Communications Coordinator
Government of the Northwest Territories
Tel: 867-767-9140 ext. 11092
Email: [email protected]