- British Columbia NationTalk
- Alberta NationTalk
- Ontario NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
Provincial Government Receives Independent Hydraulic Fracturing Panel Report
May 31, 2016
Today, the Newfoundland and Labrador Hydraulic Fracturing Review Panel released its final report. The Provincial Government has received the report and is beginning the process of reviewing the contents.
“I extend many thanks to the panel members who have undertaken a thorough and expert report. We received the final report yesterday and met with the panel to discuss the report. Our government has assembled a team to review the information and recommendations that have been put forward. In the meantime, the current policy to not accept applications for hydraulic fracturing will not be changing. Any future decisions regarding the hydraulic fracturing industry will be based on scientific evidence, and most importantly, on a social license from the Newfoundlanders and Labradorians who may be affected.
– The Honourable Siobhan Coady, Minister of Natural Resources
The report is available on the Newfoundland and Labrador Hydraulic Fracturing Review Panel website here: http://nlhfrp.ca/ .
“The panel believes that, at this point, the “pause” in accepting applications involving hydraulic fracturing in Western Newfoundland should remain in effect while the fundamental gaps and deficiencies are addressed.”
– Dr. Ray Gosine, Chair, Hydraulic Fracturing Review Panel
The panel was appointed in November 2014 to review the implications of hydraulic fracturing operations in Western Newfoundland and was comprised of five academic experts from the fields of resource development, environmental science, geological engineering, international development, and economics. It was led by Dr. Ray Gosine and included Dr. Graham Gagnon, Dr. Maurice Dusseault, Dr. Wade Locke and Dr. Kevin Keough.
- The Provincial Government has received the final report released today by the Newfoundland and Labrador Hydraulic Fracturing Review Panel.
- The report is available on the Newfoundland and Labrador Hydraulic Fracturing Review Panel website here: http://nlhfrp.ca/ .
- The panel was appointed in November 2014 to review the implications of hydraulic fracturing operations in Western Newfoundland.
– 30 –
Director of Communications
Department of Natural Resources
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is:
Comments are closed.