Subdivision Project Design and Construction Management
Request for Proposal (RFP)
Curve Lake First Nation
Design and Construction Management
- SUMMARY AND BACKGROUND
Curve Lake First Nation (CLFN) is currently accepting proposals to finalize designs for the construction of a new 43 lot subdivision on Farm Lots 12 and 13, as well as provide project and construction management of the project from planning to project commissioning.
The purpose of this Request for Proposal (RFP) is to solicit proposals from consulting engineers, conduct a fair and extensive evaluation of proposals based on criteria listed herein, and select the candidate who best represents the knowledge and experience needed to complete the subdivision project.
Curve Lake First Nation is located on a peninsula situated between Buckhorn Lake, and Chemong Lake. It is affiliated with the Anishinabek Nation, Mississauga Nation and is one of the seven Williams Treaty First Nations.
The total registered population of Curve Lake First Nation is 2260. There are 777 members who live on reserve while 1483 live off of the reserve.
The Council is comprised of one (1) Chief and eight (8) Councilors.
First Nation operations are currently organized into five departments. These are Finance and Administration, Health and Family Services, Education, Economic Development and Public Works. Curve Lake First Nation employs approximately 80 full time employees and 25 short term contracts and sub-staff.
Several Council committees have been established to assist the operating departments. These include Finance, Health & Family Services, Education, Economic Development, Public Works, Housing, Lands and employee Health and Safety. Additional Council Committees include, Gaming Revenue Fund, Claims, Petroglyphs, Pow Wow, Recreation, Rights and Resources and Youth Council.
Curve Lake First Nation delivers a number of essential and non-essential programs and services to both member and non-member residents of the community.
The Curve Lake First Nation Capital and Infrastructure Department has identified the need for additional building lots for the Housing program. Planning and design work have been started previously but the project has experienced delays due to approvals and funding. The consultant would be expected to gather the relevant work already completed and continue the work in order to finalize the design of the subdivision, roads, electrification, drainage as well as preparing tenders, selection of contractors and provide project and construction management services until the project is completed.
- PROJECT DESCRIPTION
The Curve Lake First Nation Capital and Infrastructure Department is planning to construct a new subdivision to be developed on Lots 12 & 13. The subdivision has a proposed design showing 43 building lots and the design was partially dictated by the avoidance of species at risk which limited the areas available for development.
The work will include reviewing and incorporating work completed to date such as the geotechnical studies, proposed lot layout, proposed road designs which are included as part of this RFP for reference. Reference maps of the pertinent area may be found in the geotechnical report as well.
The scope of the work will include but is not limited to:
- Completion of the design of the subdivision 12-13
- Coordinate with the Lands Department with respect to the design
- Preparation of drawings including road layout and design, drainage plans and lot development
- Oversee the surveying of the subdivision
- Work with Hydro One to design the electric servicing
- Provide design to project team for reviews and approvals
- Prepare the construction tender documents to the project team for review
- Manage the tendering process
- Chair the preconstruction meeting
- Chair the monthly construction meetings
- Complete monthly updates for the project team
- Carry out the contract administration during the construction
- Complete the construction review
- Complete the final review
- Oversee the warranty period and warranty inspection
- Administer the any investigation or testing/inspections required
- A brief description of your firm including any qualifications you consider relevant.
- A description of your firm’s experience in performing similar work, including two references of work performed for municipalities or other government bodies or agencies or similar private sector work in the previous five (5) years, and appropriate contact information for references.
- Identify the lead personnel responsible to lead the delivery of the services the proponent is prepared to offer and their expected involvement. Curve Lake First Nation expects that each of the identified lead personnel will be licensed and in good standing to perform the services in Ontario.
- Describe the relevant experience of the lead personnel and include their resumes and professional designations.
- Curve Lake First Nation expects that you will have sufficient resources available to meet the service requirements in a timely and efficient manner. Provide a brief description of your firm’s staffing resources that will be utilized to meet the service requirements.
- Provide the same information as provided for item 1-5, above, for any sub-consultant that you propose to engage to provide the services.
- Professional liability insurance in an amount of not less than $2,000,000.00 per occurrence. Provide certificates of insurance outlining the amounts of professional liability insurance that you carry.
- Proponents should provide a detailed fee proposal and explain why it is beneficial to the Curve Lake First Nation and the proponent, using a combination of the following.
- Please provide the fixed fee you are prepared to offer for completing the Services.
- Please provide any percentage-based fees on the cost of construction that you are prepared to offer and describe any conditions or limitations applicable to such percentage fees.
- Please provide a complete schedule of all hourly rates for the lead personnel, any other professionals and any other service providers expected to be involved in the performance of the Services, exclusive of GST. Also indicate the duration that the hourly rates will remain in effect for.
- Please describe any other reimbursable expense categories and any proposed mark-up.
- All prices/rates should be quoted in Canadian Dollars, exclusive of any applicable GST.
- The proponent’s rates shall be inclusive of the cost of all payroll burdens, benefits, insurance, safety certifications, training, permits, and licenses.
- Unless expressly set out in the proposed fee structure, no other costs are chargeable to Curve Lake First Nation in connection with the performance of the Services unless agreed to in writing in advance.
- Proposals should include a proposed schedule for completion of the Services, as set out in his RFP.
Exceptions to Services Agreement Terms
- A detailed description of any exceptions or additions to the Services Agreement should be clearly set out in a proponent’s proposal. In the absence of any such exceptions or additions, Curve Lake First Nation will assume, that the proponent accepts the form of Services Agreement.
Conflict of Interest Disclosure
- Disclose any actual or potential conflicts of interest that may exist between your firm and its management, and Curve Lake First Nation, its members of Council and management, and the nature of such conflict of interest. If a proponent has no such conflict of interest, a statement to that effect should be included in its proposal. Curve Lake First Nation employees are ineligible to participate, directly or indirectly, with any proponent.
- Confidential information refers to any data or information relating to CLFN whether business, personal, or cultural, which would reasonably be considered private or proprietary to CLFN and that is not generally known and where release of that information could reasonably be expected to cause harm to CLFN.
- The Proponent agrees that they will not disclose or use any confidential information which they have obtained except as authorized by CLFN or as required by law.
- If there is a disclosure of confidential information Proponent will notify CLFN within seven calendar days.
Ownership of Intellectual Property
- All intellectual property and related material that is developed or produced under this agreement will be the sole property of CLFN. The use of the intellectual property will not be restricted in any way.
- The proponent may not use the intellectual property for any purpose than that contracted for in this agreement except with the written consent of CLFN. The Proponent will be responsible for all damages resulting from the unauthorized use of the intellectual property.
- Upon the expiry or termination of this agreement, the proponent will return to CLFN any property, documentation, records, or confidential information which is the property of CLFN.
Contract terms and conditions will be negotiated upon selection of the winning bidder for this RFP. All contractual terms and conditions may be subject to review by Curve Lake First Nation legal department and will include scope, budget, schedule, and other necessary items pertaining to the project.
All questions, requests for information, instructions or clarifications regarding any part of this proposal document must be set out in writing and directed to:
Shawn Williams, Director of Capital Development
22 Winookeedaa Street
Curve Lake First Nation, ON, K0L 1R0
705-657-8045 Ext 480
All questions related to this Request for Proposal (RFP) or any clarification with respect to this RFP must be made no later than 5 Business Days prior to the closing date of this RFP in order that staff may have sufficient time to respond. Curve Lake reserves the right to extend the deadline for questions, if required, regarding this RFP.
Written answers or clarifications to issues of substance may be shared with all Proponents and may be issued as part of the RFP in the form of an Addendum. This proposal document and all addendum(s), if any, shall also be posted on the First Nation’s web-site.
Proposal Submissions and Closing Date
The closing date for proposals is set for Wednesday June 26, 2019 at 12:00 noon. Only proposals that are mailed or emailed will be accepted. If packages are mailed, please send 3 copies of the proposal. Packages should be clearly marked “Proposal for Subdivision Project”.
Proposals should be submitted to the attention of:
Director of Capital Development
Curve Lake First Nation
22 Winookeedaa Street
Curve Lake, ON K0L 1R0
- REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL AND PROJECT TIMELINE
Request for Proposal Timeline:
All proposals in response to this RFP are due no later than 12:00 pm (noon) EST June 26, 2019.
Evaluation of proposals will be conducted June 28, 2019. If additional information or discussions are needed, the bidder(s) will be notified.
The selection decision for the winning bidder will be made no later than July 8, 2019 Contract negotiations will be completed by July 26, 2019.
Notifications to bidders who were not selected will be completed by July 12, 2019.
Project must be completed by August 30, 2020.
- PROPOSAL EVALUATION CRITERIA
Overall proposal suitability: proposal must meet the scope and needs included herein and be presented in a clear and organized manner.
- Organizational Experience: Bidders will be evaluated on their experience as it pertains to the scope of this project.
- Previous work: Bidders will be evaluated on examples of their work pertaining to civil engineering and project management and construction management.
- Value and cost: Bidders will be evaluated based on the work to be performed in accordance with the scope of this project.
- PRIVILEGE CLAUSES
Curve Lake First Nation reserves its right:
- Not to award the contract;
- Not to award the contract necessarily to the lowest priced bidder, but rather to the best
- To conduct negotiations with one or more bidders in the event the negotiations with the first bidder are unsuccessful;
- To conduct a survey of potential bidders to obtain clarification of their proposals as part of the evaluation process;
- To cancel and reissue the RFP; and
- To extend any deadlines and amend the proposal process.
- EXCLUSIONARY CLAUSES
The proposal writer shall be liable for all costs associated with preparation and submission of the proposal up to the final award of the contract.
Curve Lake First Nation shall not be liable for any costs, expenses, loss or damage incurred, sustained or suffered by any bidder prior, or subsequent to, or by reason of the acceptance or the non-acceptance by CLFN of any proposal, or by reason of any delay in acceptance of a proposal, except as provided in the tender documents.